FPGA development board with digital image camera

I will do some research on video/image processing on FPGA. I will design
VHDL codes for some video/image processing algorithms. I needs a FPGA
development board with a big FPGA chip on it. I also hope it can be
connected with a digital camera or image sensor with real-time image access
into the board. It's better if the image in RGB format and input to the
board frame by frame.

Does any one know where there exist this kind of FPGA development board or
not? If not, any suggestion should be really appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

Re: FPGA development board with digital image camera

there are lots of board that can be used but the connectors to the camera
are pretty much non standard so you might end up getting an camera and then
making an connector adapter to connect the camera to the FPGA board.

the digital cameras do not usually have direct RGB output but that is no big
deal the format conversion can be done in the FPGA input stage.

So lookup your camera, check you can get the connector (sometimes they are
hard to get!) and choose your FPGA board that you like

Antti

Re: FPGA development board with digital image camera
Thank you very much for your message!

I have got one camera which is BenQ DC1300. It can be connected to PC by USB
port. I think there might be some FPGA boards with USB connection. But I am
not sure whether these board can connected with this DC1300 or not?

By the way, if there are some camera can be connected to an FPGA development
board, I would like to buy both of them.

Thanks

Re: FPGA development board with digital image camera

Check out Xilinx:

 Virtex-4 Video Starter Kit (HW-V4SX35-VIDEO-SK-US)

This seems to have an RGB image sensor built in.

http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xebiz/designResources/ip_product_details.jsp?key=HW-V4SX35-VIDEO-SK-US&sGlobalNavPick=&sSecondaryNavPick =

Re: FPGA development board with digital image camera
http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xebiz/designResources/ip_product_details.jsp?key=HW-V4SX35-VIDEO-SK-US&sGlobalNavPick=&sSecondaryNavPick =

thats a nice bundle, yes.

the FPGA board is actually a ML402 what costs far less as standalone board

the micron camera that should be bundled is RGB camera, but its interface
does not deliver RGB as parallel, there is some multiplexing required
anyway.

funnily the camera chip is not on the video daughter board (or nor clearly
visible) also there seems to be no suitable connector for the camera and
there is no other info so I wonder where the image sensor is hidden?

Antti

Re: FPGA development board with digital image camera

Pixel Velocity makes a 'Brilliant Camera' with an AltaSens HDTV color
sensor, Virtex2Pro XC2VP20, XC2VP30 or XC2VP50, 10/100 or Gigabit
Etghernet and runs embedded Linux.

http://pixel-velocity.com/intelligentcamera.html

---
Joe Samson
Pixel Velocity

Re: FPGA development board with digital image camera

or

http://www.elphel.com/model313 /

:) possible less expensive and with design sources c verilog schematice
available for downloads for FREE

Antti

Re: FPGA development board with digital image camera
Thank you so much! I think it is a very good board for me. But I am not sure
the following three things:
1. Will  the image signal be got in the memory of the FPGA board? RGB or
other format?Need I design some FPGA module for them?
2. For this board, is the price including the daughter board?
3. For using this FPGA design, any extra software needed for downloading or
writing?
Thanks again

http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xebiz/designResources/ip_product_details.jsp?key=HW-V4SX35-VIDEO-SK-US&sGlobalNavPick=&sSecondaryNavPick =

Re: FPGA development board with digital image camera
On a sunny day (Wed, 7 Dec 2005 13:47:03 -0000) it happened "hongying meng"

You could consider buying a webcam with ethernet rj45 interface.
These have a build in web server (I use D-Link DCS-900) (<150$).
Then find a FPGA board with ethernet interface.
This camera sends jpeg picture stream.
So.. then you have to process the jpeg (opencores?) and make TCP/IP HDL.
Or use a custom ASIC... mmm
Simpler is to use a RGB sensor on some IO pins....
Actually many of these sensors (CMOS) will sens some multiplexed form of YUV.

All depends on what your idea of 'image processing' is.
Anyways I think the ethernet cams are more fun then the USB (because of drivers).
I have this cam also working in Linux, seesm very popular for home security
(lot of downloads): http://panteltje.com/panteltje/mcamip /
No I am not associated with D-Link.

Re: FPGA development board with digital image camera
Hi Michael,

The Xilinx University Program Xilinx XUP Virtex II Pro Development
System (XUPV2P) has a add-on video card the VDEC-1 which accepts
composite, component, or S-Video input.  A reference design to start
with is under Demonstrations and Reference Designs on the XUPV2P page:
http://www.xilinx.com/univ/xupv2p.html
A direct link to the VDEC-1: http://www.digilentinc.com/info/VDEC1.cfm

Good Luck!

Paul

Re: FPGA development board with digital image camera

Paul,

that type of Video decoder does _not_ work with cmos/digital image sensor at
all
but otherwise the board is good at the university price :)

antti

Re: FPGA development board with digital image camera

KROS Technologies now has available a daughter card for the Nios II
Cyclone II dev board  (the board has an EP2C35 FPGA; a nice
medium-density cyclone II device):
http://www.krostechnologies.com /

The card includes color LCD touch panel, a small camera, and some very
interesting example designs.

Jesse Kempa
Altera
jkempa -#at#- altera -#dot#- com