FPGA configuration time for PCI identification ?

It's in the PCI spec. It's 2^25 clock cycles if memory serves me right.

Petter

-- A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

Reply to
Petter Gustad

Hello,

We have a 2VP40 ( 15.5Mbits configuration ) to configure through a 8 bits

90ns flash by a CPLD. I try to find what time has the PCI IP to respond to PCI boot board identification process before been ignored ? This will give the time I have to configure my FPGA.

Does someone has information on this allowed time ?

Thanks.

Stéphane.

Reply to
sjulhes

Petter,

I had read somewhere 80ms was all the time you had before the PCI bus was definitely allowed to ignore you (forever).

2^25 clocks is considerably longer than this. Even at 133 MHz.

Aust> "sjulhes" writes:

Reply to
Austin Lesea

For PCI 2.3, and revision 1.0a of the PCI-X spec:

100 ms from power valid to RST# high.

For PCI 2^25 clocks from RST# high to first configuration access.

For PCI-X 2^26 clocks from RST# high to first configuration access.

Regards,

John McCaskill

Reply to
John McCaskill

Thank you veru much.

Stéphane.

"John McCaskill" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

sjulhes wrote:

For PCI 2.3, and revision 1.0a of the PCI-X spec:

100 ms from power valid to RST# high.

For PCI 2^25 clocks from RST# high to first configuration access.

For PCI-X 2^26 clocks from RST# high to first configuration access.

Regards,

John McCaskill

Reply to
sjulhes

I just can't find it in the spec ! Can someone give me the right section ?

sjulhes wrote:

For PCI 2.3, and revision 1.0a of the PCI-X spec:

100 ms from power valid to RST# high.

For PCI 2^25 clocks from RST# high to first configuration access.

For PCI-X 2^26 clocks from RST# high to first configuration access.

Regards,

John McCaskill

Reply to
sjulhes

Ok, I found it !

But what about the PCI express ? I don't have the spec so if someone can tell me if there is the same process and what is the allowed time ?

thank you

sjulhes wrote:

For PCI 2.3, and revision 1.0a of the PCI-X spec:

100 ms from power valid to RST# high.

For PCI 2^25 clocks from RST# high to first configuration access.

For PCI-X 2^26 clocks from RST# high to first configuration access.

Regards,

John McCaskill

Reply to
sjulhes

sjulhes schrieb:

PCIe is hot plug capable, so it probably does not matter. Just tell the system that your device is present when you finished configuration.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma

As I read the PCIe specification, it seems that the hot plug capability is optional on the system board, so this may not always work. The timing of PERST# is minimum 100ms after power stable and 100us after REFCLK stable.

Reply to
Gabor