FPGA configuration Beginner questions...

hello

as i mentioned earlier, i'm a beginner with fpgas. in fact, this is the first time i'm configuring an fpga....

I am using the XUP Virtex2Pro Development board, device : XCV2P30, with EDK 9.1i I also have the Platform USB 2 cable (A-B) which i came to know, can be used to configure the fpga.... I wanted to know the procedure to configure the fpga... using EDK? or iMPACT?

Please help out asap....

Thanks in advance...

Vikram

Reply to
vikram

Hi,

Unless you're using EDK for your design, iMPACT is the way to go. Here is a tutorial that describes the steps you would use on a Spartan-3 demo board. I'm not familiar with the board you're using but, but the same general steps usually apply. Start at the bottom of page 8 ("Select the Configure Device (iMPACT) under the Generate Programming File...").

Regards,

-- Hauke D

Reply to
Hauke D

Hi,

Whoops, apologies, I misread your original post, I guess you are using EDK :) It's been a while since I worked with EDK, but as long as you're generating .bit files you can use iMPACT to configure your FPGA with the same procedure. I forget if and how EDK provides functionality to configure the FPGA directly...

Regards,

-- Hauke D

Reply to
Hauke D

EDK just front-ends the ISE tools with support for embedded development. It uses iMPACT to configure the target device, just as it continues to use XST and DataMem for their related functions.

Reply to
MikeWhy

Reply to
vikram