FPGA CAM/TCAM

It looks like Altera's Flex20 is the only FPGA with build in support for instantiate high density CAM/TCAM. The Xilinx approach not as dense as Altera. I am looking for a 70x16K solutions and can't find any good one.

FLEX20 is .15 um and 5 years old.

But Altera doesn't seem to support CAM in the later Cyclone or Stratix.

Does anyone know why?

High density CAM seems like a valuable addition to the megasize FPGA we have today, especially for network device.

Almost all the CAM I seen are expensive and require over 100 pins to interface to them and cost over $40.

Would be very nice to stuff them inside a Cyclone or Spartan.

-Tony

Reply to
tony.p.lee

I expect that most customers didn't use it.

The Altera CAM was inadequate for serious IP/IPv6 applications. For less demanding applications, there are other ways to cover a CAM function.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler