FPGA board--host PC, need 20-50 Mbps speed, USB2, PCI or 1394?

Hi, all,

Thanks for your reading!

My project need transfer the data from the FPGA board to the Host PC. The transfer speed is about 25-50Mbps, does anyone konw if there is some commerical IP core/or evaluation board we could use with the Xilinx fpga directly?

We would like to select the interface from the PCI, USB2.0 or 1394, I am very interested in using the usb2.0 interface, however, I only found the usb1.1 IP core right now, it is a little old for the future work.

If you have the experience, could you provide some hints which is the best method and where I can find the IP cores/evaluation board, really appreciate you reply....

Reply to
dan

We do a PCI to OPB bridge that would give you the PC connectivity either as PCI target or Initiator. Using the OPB bus structure you can interface to your logic or bought in IP. We can also offer a number of IP products in this area. If you want a hardware platform then our Broaddown2 development board is also available and offers a highly versatile platform for system prototyping.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development Board.

John Adair

hi, John:

I have some question about your product:

  1. If I buy your IP, is it easy to realize in the Xilinx Virtex2(PRO) FPGA? How much work will need?
  2. Is there the PCI DMA function in your IP core? I am concerned about that.
  3. Will you provide the Windows driver for the PCI card? Thanks for your reply!

John Adair wrote:

either as

interface to

in

development

system

Development

PC.

found

work.

the

really

Reply to
dan

We have already targetted this design to V2-Pro, in a PC104Plus format, on one of the boards we have here in development. I should say this IP works in conjuction with Xilinx PCI core to make the full bridging function although we have plans to make this a direct connect to PCI sometime in the future.

We don't have DMA integrated into the Bridge but we have already done 2 different DMA engines on the OPB side of core which work with Bridge and can DMA internally or over the PCI via the Bridge.

We do have a driver for windows coming. Its availability is linked to a GUI interface we are doing for Broaddown2. We are probably 8-12 weeks away from that being available dependent on how much client work comes in. So far the Bridge has been used by customers using Linux and they have sourced their own driver in all cases so far.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development Board.

John Adair

Why don't you consider IEEE1355 or SpaceWire interface, easily does upto 200MBits in cu and far more in glass.

It came out of the remnants of the Transputer Links from the T9000, and is commercially available from

4links.com using Virtex & no doubt other FPGAs.

Its premise was simplicity & low cost implementation, way less than a uart and vastly less than USB or FW, self clocking, fairly long cabling, not sure if its LVDS or the T9000 alternate DS clock edge scheme.

Hope that help

johnjakson at usa dot com

Reply to
JJ