FPGA as "Differential SSTL_2" clock driver

Hi.. Is it recommended to use following scheme, to generate "Differential SSTL_2" clock signals which are sourcing DDR SDRAM & another controller.

  1. Normal 125 MHz LVTTL clock source(Oscillator) feeding clock to FPGA.
  2. FPGA functionality inverts this clock.
  3. The same i/p clock & inverted clock are sent out of FPGA, with setting I/O standard of these to outputs as "OBUF_SSTL2_I".

If this scheme is ok, will there be any constrain on using particular family of FPGA like Spartan 2, Spartan 3 or virtex etc.

Cheers, Manish

Reply to
Manish

Manish,

It is better to use the DDR FF in the IOB to do clock forwarding with the least duty cycle distortion. One IOB gets the DDR FF with the D tied to Vcc for the top FF,and the D tied to GND on the bottom FF, and the other (complement) IOB has the top D tied to GND, and the bottom D tied to Vcc.

Aust> Hi..

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Hello Austin, thanks a lot for this scheme. This is far better than the schemes I tried. (Taking DCM "0 degree" & "180 degree" shifted clocks, normal inversion & passing through SSTL OBufs.) I have two more queries in this regard,

  1. As a Spartan3 primitive - "FDDRRSE" is being used, this solution restricts the use of SP3 device (& V2, V2Pro) is there any way-out if one needs to use SP2, Virtex devices ?
2.In my design I need one more LVTTL 125 MHz clock out-of FPGA which should be phase-alligned with these SSTL clocks. The Post-PNR simulation that i have carried-out reveals that there is a phase differance between crossing-edges of SSTL pair & this LVTTL clock, of the order of 857 ps.is there any compensation technique fo this as well. (I have tried using I/Os whose physical locations are close to each other)

Manish

Reply to
Manish

Manish,

See below,

Aust> Hello Austin,

Nope. Have to go back to using two separate BUFG clocks, CLK0 and CLK180.

There is always a slight (unavoidable) difference when you change IO standards. You clould use another DLL(DCM) to phase shift that output if that 857 ps is a problem.

Reply to
Austin Lesea