FPGA and video generation

Dear hobbyists,

I need some advice on FPGA's. One of my projects involves VGA video generation (with AVR microcontroller). I want to use FPGA's instead of MCU to produce higher resolutions. The FPGA should read data from sram and send it to a D/A converter. Wich FPGA can I use for this? Altera, Xilinx? I suppose I need to write the code in Verilog? Wich of the two has the best free of least expensive software?

Thanks in advance

Johan

Reply to
Johan

"Johan" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ei7xf.93683$ snipped-for-privacy@phobos.telenet-ops.be...

pretty much all vendors have free sw that is sufficent for your purposes you can also use any FPGA, its all up to you what to choose

you can write in verilog VHDL or design in schematics whatever you like the best, there are plenty of VGA/display examples available so its the best to get some sample code and check it out and then start modifiying to your needs or write your own

has very simple pong game, well it is not using any memory at all, but its very simple and easy

there are many more complex projects, just search the net

--
Antti Lukats
http://www.xilant.com

You could probably also do it in a CPLD (e.g. Xilinx 95xx series) if cost is an issue and you have the time to optimise it to fit, but an FPGA will give you plenty of room to play with - e.g. Xilinx Spartan-3 series. Another advantage with FPGA is that you have some RAM to play with which may help buffering data to and from the SRAM,a nd also allows room for things like fonts etc.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

"Mike Harrison" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

now when you mentioned PLD, there is 8 bit VGA project using small PLD and SRAM chips

seek PLD there is link to the design...

--
Antti Lukats
http://www.xilant.com

Thank you very much for the quick reply's. This is exactly what I wanted to know. The CPLD graphics card is able to generate a pretty high resolution. I was thinking to use CPLD's but wasn't sure if it would work.

Thank you guy's!!

Reply to
Johan