FPGA and Package-on-Package

Since the Beagleboard and the Raspberry Pi use Package-on-Packge for integr= ating Flash and DRAM with the processor SoC I wonder why the FPGA vendors d= o not offer this. There are many FPGA-designs that need external memory and= the pins to the base PCB are valuable resource.=20

Not even Silicon Blue (now lattice) who targeted the mobile market offered = it, as far as I could find.=20 Even though, the offered memories for PoP are limited, every new product th= at integrates with them would expand that spectrum.=20 With the new FPGA-SoCs (Xilinx ZYNC, Altera "SoC FPGA") the issue might cha= nge.=20

Andreas

Reply to
acd

grating Flash and DRAM with the processor SoC I wonder why the FPGA vendors= do not offer this. There are many FPGA-designs that need external memory a= nd the pins to the base PCB are valuable resource.=20

d it, as far as I could find.=20

that integrates with them would expand that spectrum.=20

hange.=20

Xilinx has dropped some hints on this, but I think the bigger issue, is th= e FPGA is FAR LESS price sensitive, and MORE performance sensitive, than th= e products that use Stacked-Die.

So, the top end FPGA's simply add more on chip RAM, and sell you a bigger = part!!

You are quite right tho, that there is an opening for a smaller FPGA, or l= arger CPLD, tightly coupled to RAM.

Even here, the issue is volume, as the really big players like Broadcom, c= an get good enough performance from their Stacked approach, to tackle 98% o= f the high volume markets - that leaves the crumbs for the PLD vendor.

Reply to
j.m.granville