FPGA

Hi all

I want to do a project with a FPGA. The FPGA that I choos is ALTERA Cyclone III.I think that there is no analog input in that. Of course, I know that I can use an external ADC(A/D) but I cannot do it because my inputs and outputs are too much.

can everyone tell me a FPGA from this family (ALTERA) that have analog inputs and output?

Regards

Reply to
ECS.MSc.SOC

AFAIK none of the Altera Cyclone or Stratix series have 'analog' I/O.

The only combo devices I am aware of and have tried to use are the Actel Fusion series. The downside is the analog portion tends to have low usable bandwidth (like 1MHz), and the ADC's of low resolution (12bits max) and low sample rate (600kHz) so for most of my applications are a) expensive, and b) unusable.

Your best bet if you have limited I/O resource ( and even with plenty of I/O resource!) is to use ADC's and DACs with serial I/O. You can get some pretty decent fast ADC's now with LVDS DDR outputs which will easily interface with your Cyclone III.

The trouble with trying to make FPGA's a real total SOC solution is you always end up with a very expensive compromise with lots of spare unusable expensive resource which you have paid for. The same applies (IMHO) with embedding processors in an FPGA. Why pay $200 for an integrated solution when a $20 FPGA and a separate $2 processor fits the bill? Same applies to trying to integrate analog devices on to an FPGA.

Just my opinion

Phil

Reply to
Phil Emmup

Xilinx's new 7 series FPGAs have dual 1MSPS 12 bit ADCs. This feature is called XADC.

Regards, Stephen

Silicon on Inspiration

eschabor