Flex6K configuration PROM

I'm investigation configuration PROMs for a EPF6010A (FLEX 6K). It looks like the default choice is the EPC1441 which is not ISP or Flash.

Altera makes the EPC2 which is Flash/ISP but for some reason it's not compatible with FLEX6K. Anyone know why? Any way to get it to work with the EPF6010A?

I also noticed Atmel makes Altera compatible configuration PROMs that are EEPROM/FLASH. Specifically, the AT17LV512A-10JC (8-PDIP).

Can anyone give me a ball park figure on the price for either Altera or Atmel configuration ROM? DigiKey doesn't have them in stock and the price for the Atmel 1MBit one they do have in stock scares me (> $45).

Today is not the best day for me to do battles with the distributors...so ballparking would be nice.

Any other suggestions for cheapo configuration PROMs? I think awhile back I saw someone mention parts from ISSI...would that work in this case?

I'm not tied down to a Flex6K persay, I think however it's the cheapest

3.3V(core) FPGA Altera offers with a TQFP package.

Thanks! Jay.

Reply to
Jay

Yes, I guess I'll have to investigate those more indepth.

Phyiscal space is a big problem in this case, otherwise a cheap FlashROM and uC would do the trick perfectly.

I am limited by two factors:

  1. FPGA must *run* on 3.3V (not just be 3.3V compliant)
  2. FPGA should be in 100-pin TQFP or smaller (smaller the better, without resorting to BGA / CSP)

While most of the FPGAs have 3.3V I/O, they run on

Reply to
Jay

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your resp> Jay writes:

s=20

=20

=20

Are you sure it was an EPC2?

They make mention several times not to use it on the Flex 6K family:

, page 9, note 1:

"Do not use EPC2 devices to configure FLEX 6000 devices." , and again on=20 page 12, etc.

I'm wondering why the Altera guys haven't followed up in the NG, they=20 seem to be pretty attentive as of late.

That doesn't sound too promising. How much were you paying for the=20 EPF6016As, if I might ask?

Thanks, Jay.

Reply to
Jay

[snip]

I had similar problem - ADI development board for high speed ADC has Flex6K on the board and I needed to change the config - and found the same story as you - no known solution from Altera, and even though Atmel config roms claim Altera compatibility not clear if Atmel rom would work with Flex 6K.

solutions: for Flex 6K, use cheap serial eeprom (ISSI or other) and cheap

8 pin microcontroller to boot up the serial eeprom, hmm for some smaller densities some serial eeproms could be used without that micro also, there was a mailing about this here some time ago

use parallal flash and cheap pld to config use some micro with enough internal flash to get the config

use some other part - this is probably best solution. there are many FPGAs in tqfp 100 and some should be cheap as well APA075 is 17USD qty one (non volatile FPGA, no confi mem) small XC2S are about 9USD qty 1 hm not sure if cyclone comes in tqgp100

but really if there is no special reason to use flex 6k DO NOT USE it

antti

Antti Lukats

Just to follow up a bit on my own thread, the "cheap" ISP alternative wasn't from ISSI, it was from SST. Here's the Google thread:

Now, let's see if we can get that configuration PROM to work with an Altera FPGA w/o resorting to an 8-pin uC.

Thanks, Jay.

Reply to
Jay

I used one a long time ago with a 6016A, worked fine. What makes you think they won't work?

The Altera ones were about £20 last time I bought them. :-(

HTH, Martin

--
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
TRW Conekt, Solihull, UK

Why can't you generate a 2.5 volt power supply? You could probably get away with a PN diode in the SOD-323 package and a 1K pulldown resistor (to establish a minimum current) to drop the 3.3 volts to 2.6 volts. The Altera EP1K10TC100 (ACEX 1K) would be perfect.

Daniel Lang

Reply to
Daniel Lang

I have used ATMEL parts - they're much cheaper and reprogrammable.

for price comparison only, look at

(German distributor, has both Atmel and Altera) - they have price list search on-line...

regards

Dejan

Reply to
Deni

Yep, I reprogrammed it and everything!

So they do, I hadnot noticed that! I was going on the fact that they "seemed" to be compatible with the older EPC1x series in terms of pinout and timing. Indeed, table 5 is entitled "Table 4. APEX 20K, FLEX 10K & FLEX 6000 Timing Parameters using EPC2 Devices at 3.3 V"

Yeah, they would have the "right" answer, but I can certainly say it worked for us. We made a few of these boxes, and some of them ended up on the front of cars, and I never had any complaints.

Sorry, Ijust poked around our Purchase database and can't find any record of them. I think we must have bought them from a different supplier to usual :-( The EPC2s were there though, 18UKP.

Hope you get some official answers!

Cheers, Martin

--
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
TRW Conekt, Solihull, UK

Just in case tinyurl ever goes away, here's the very long link split over sveral lines, for the benfit of future generations :-)

martin.j.thompson@trw.com
TRW Conekt, Solihull, UK
http://www.trw.com/conekt
Reply to
Martin Thompson

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the info. I'll keep the group apraised of what I do.

Right now it looks like one of those SST parts with a uC helper. I really don't see why a config ROM should cost so much (more than an FPGA?)

Still no word from Altera (via e-mail or NG) though.

Thanks, Jay.

Reply to
Jay