Flash memmory model

Hi all, In my new firm we are planning to develop a flash model. What i want to know is that is there any need for such an activity. My feeling is that all the vendors will provide a beautifull timing model for their products. Then is there any thing we can do in developing a new model. Is there anything usefull in developing a parameterizable general purpose model. Is there any suggestion from you people? Also what could be the best language to use for the modeling (timing models) verilog or system verilog?? regards Sumesh V S

Reply to
vssumesh

I would guess that there is a place for third party models for any device that has multiple manufacturers. If for example I want to design a board to work with standard devices from Intel, Toshiba, and Atmel, it would be easier if I had a model that represented the worst case timing from all three suppliers, rather than running a simulation for each chip maker. This gets even more useful in designs using multiple parts where I might need to use a matrix of tests with mixes of different vendor models. The third party model would also make life easier when the different vendors don't use the same port names on their models, requiring me to make a wrapper for each model to simplify inclusion into my testbench.

A feature that could prove valuable would be a model that somehow automates the merger of multiple vendor models and thus allows immediate updates when a vendor model changes.

Right now I'm only using Verilog, but I'm probably not your best prospective customer for this product. However if you don't need the features of SV, a Verilog model could be used in either environment.

Just my 2 cents, Gabor

Reply to
Gabor

Thanks Gabor, For ur advices. I came to know about the ONFI group. They are into standardizing the flash interface. But samsung and toshiba is still not in. Any idea about its future. I thought it would be better if we can some how convert other vendors statndards to a common standard. And if i choose onfi is there any risk involved?? And just one help can u suggest me a site from which i get the latest market analysis in flash products with pie charts etc. i searched but got all very old one (i am still a baby in googling). regards Sumesh

Reply to
vssumesh
Reply to
Stephen Williams