FIFO depth

I have doubt in calculating FIFO depth. Transmitter is writing 16 bit data with a frequency of 40 KHz. Receiver is reading 8 bit data with a frequency of 60 KHz. What is the depth of FIFO I need to use and how I need to calculate the FIFO depth?

Reply to
vishnuprasanth

Hi, Your transmitter is sending 640kbit/s, but your receiver is reading only

480kbit/s. With a continous operation on both sides your fifo needs to be infinite.

Missing data: Are there gaps in the transmitted data stream or some sort of handshake?

The average transmitted data has to be below 480kbit/s. It depends on the method that is used to reduce the transmitters data rate how to calculate the fifo size.

have a nice synthesis Eilert

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com schrieb:

Reply to
backhus

I can't afford infinite fifo

Reply to
Marlboro

follow this link

Pranay

That's just a question of marketing... :-)

Let the custumer pay (e.g.) 1,00$ for every Transmitted bit, and offer him a payback of 1,10$ for every received bit assuming the given datarates with no gaps or idles!

Then you can easyly update the system with any ammount of fifo needed, until the cusumer is broke.

For the beginning I woud implement a FIFO-Subsystem with a 500GB HDD. It's considerably cheap, and with the above contract you are soon quite rich.

after second 1: 640000$ - 528000$ = 112000$ earned after one hour: 403.2 Million Dollars earned After one Day: 9.67 Billion Dollars earned

You can afford all the FIFOs in the world now!

Good Luck :-) Eilert

Reply to
backhus