FiberChannel SOF

Would some one know why SOF/EOF of Fiber Channel frame is 4 bytes?

Thanks Walters

Reply to
Walters

Pretty much everything in FC is in multiples of 4 bytes. I guess they were considering the performance on 32 bit platforms when they designed the protocol.

This wastes a little bit of bandwidth on the line, but it does make the implementation easier.

--
Nony.
Reply to

As I understand it:

1st byte - always K28.5- - ordered set delimiter & character sync 2nd byte - function code - differentiate SOF/R_RDY/etc types 3rd byte - Straighten out disparity to RD+ 4th byte - Reverses disparity to RD-

This is not based on any particular source, only my observations, so I could be completely wrong.

ken

Walters wrote:

Reply to
Ken Ryan