FFT on Virtex-II (Desperation Imminent)

Hello

A collegue and I are trying to implement a 256 point FFT on a Virtex-II.
The problem we are having is finding a way to transfer the calculated FFT
data off the FPGA so we can display it (preferably in Matlab).

    If anyone knows of a tool for uploading/downloading to/from the block
RAM on the Virtex-II, please let us know.
    If anyone has any information on how to interface to the 16Mb flash
memory card on our board, it would be greatly apreciated.
    Finally, any tip on how to implement this project would be helpful.  We
are at our wits end trying to figure out a way of displaying our FFT
function and testing its accuracy.

Anythign anyone can tell us is apreciated!  Thanks!

John Plows & Andrew Dalrymple
Royal Military College of Canada

Re: FFT on Virtex-II (Desperation Imminent)

We

Do you have any sort of processor on the fpga?  If not, perhaps you could
put in a small one (picoblaze) and a uart, and pass the data out through a
serial port.

Re: FFT on Virtex-II (Desperation Imminent)

We

John,

What sort of bandwidth requirements do you have?

What physical interface do you have with the FPGA?

I built a USB interface for my own debug use, this connects
to a header and can be used to access internal registers/
ram or whatever you want. A couple of times this has been
invaluable. Have a look at the downloads page of my web site
for more details.

Nial.

Nial Stewart Developments Ltd
FPGA and High Speed Digital Design
www.nialstewartdevelopments.co.uk

Re: FFT on Virtex-II (Desperation Imminent)

Does the Xilinx jtag debugger allow it?

                             ----------

Without any information on what your board is and what it has on it, you're
not going to get a  lot of useful help.
If I assume you have a standalone board with no standard interface (since if
it has PCI, a serial port, or USB why would you be asking) the best I advice
I can give is to look at the parallel printer port on your PC.  This used to
be an easy way to get data to/from a custom board.  It has at least 8 "data"
bits as well as some signalling bits, is bi-directional (well, most are) and
I seem to recall it uses standard logic levels.  So it may be a matter of
jury rigging a cable from your PC's printer port to your board, implementing
a simple interface in the FPGA, and writing some PC code to read data from
the printer port.

We

How's Kingston these days?

------