Fast Platform for ISE?

the PC market is changing quite fast and I would like to get an update on the question from July ...

back then I heard

- "Athlon 64 1M cache" is faster than Pentium 4

- "Core 2 duo 4M cache" might be even better

Intel Core 2 is available and I would like to know if anyone did really test it? does it help?

I heard an announcement of "Core 2 Quadro" but I guess this is quite useless with Xilinx ISE?

bye, Michael

Reply to
Michael Schöberl

The only info I have on core2duo by someone who is doing actual development (porting/compiling firefox) is that for compiles & links it's worse than his athlon 64 machine. I don't know anyone who has run ise or synplicity on a core2duo yet.

mk

I just bought one of these. Bloody quick. Sped up my P&R 4x compared to the Pentium 4 I was using. Well worth the money.

Cheers, Jon

Reply to
Jon Beniston

Could you give some spec, memory, cpu frequency on both machines?

Reply to
mk

I'm not sure if compiling/linking can be compared to place&route?

I need a new ISE machine and today our "regular PC" would have a Pentium D 930 @ 3GHz can I expect any speedup with a core2duo? with Athlon64?

bye, Michael

Reply to
Michael Schöberl

E6600 Dual Core - 2.6 GHz, with DDRII 667 memory.

Pentium 4 was 3 GHz, with 400 MHz memory, I think. (So a little old, but not exactly ancient)

Cheers, Jon

Reply to
Jon Beniston

Not entirely representitive, but..

Cheers, Jon

Reply to
Jon Beniston

Jon Beniston wrote

4MB cache on the new toy, 2MB on the old. Others have mentioned that cache size is the key.
Reply to
Tim

The E6600 is the slowest + cheapest one with 4M cache. Going by gamer benchmarks, which we have found to be reasonably representative in the past, the E6600 should be good performance for the money. If not on a budget then the faster versions are available too. We will certainly move over from our current Athlon64 preference on any new machines.

John Adair Enterpo> Jon Beniston wrote

Reply to
John Adair

okay - thanks for your help ...

I placed an order for a Conroe E6700 System - I hope I'll find some time for a little benchmark then ...

bye, Michael

Reply to
Michael Schöberl