"failed to create empty document"

I've been plagues lately with my machine seeming to have a limit on the number of documents or programs that can be opened. If I exceed that quota, I either get the MFC "failed to create an empty document" (in Aldec when I try to open another source file), or the application just plain not opening with no warnings (Xilinx, for example). The limit seems to decrease as I work, to the point where I can only have one application open, then I have to reboot the machine.

I checked my disk array for space...there is about 160 GB of 490 GB total occupied, so disk space shouldn't be the issue. I looked at the temp folder, and that doesn't seem to be full either.

This is windoze XP pro.

Anybody seen this and have a cure?

Reply to
Ray Andraka

Actually I don't think this is a hardware issue (especially because a reset cures it). I think some app is leaking system resources (memory/windows/gdi handles etc) which is normally not supposed to happen with XP. One thing which is not clear with Ray's post is whether this continues to happen even if he closes all open apps. One thing to try is to open task manager (ctrl-alt-del) and see if there are any zombie processes which belong to dead applications. These may be keeping windows/other resources in memory. Close all apps which are not used, all processes which are not needed anymore and see if you can recover without a reboot. Also going to windowsupdate.microsoft.com to get the latest patches might help.