Factory Mutual Approvable Sealed Lead Acid Battery

This isn't a specific embedded or FPGA problem, but I'm hoping someone has some advise.

Does anyone know of a 6V 12Ahr Sealed Lead Acid Battery that has been able to pass FM's or ATEX short circuit temp. rise test?

I designed in a Diamec DM6-12, but when Factory Mutual was testing the short circuit temperature rise of the battery within a few seconds the battery becomes an open circuit and it has only raised 3 degrees C. (There must be some mechanical fuse-able link inside) So they can't actually test an internal cell short circuit fault from the outside of the battery.

FM doesn't want to cut open the battery and actually test the internal cells for heath risks, which I understand.

If you have any ideas on a new battery, that would help me out a lot.

Thanks

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Ask this question on sci.electronics.design -- it'll be seen by way more analog folks that way.

I, alas, do not approach that level of expertise with batteries.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Can you get some testing documentation from the battery company that certifies that it meets the requirements?

I know that FM likes to do their own testing, but they may be willing to accept data that proves that it meets their requirments, especially if fault testing is hampered by a safety feature of the device and to bypass it would be dangerous.

Reply to
Noway2

Umm... did we try google "factory mutual sla battery"?

Multiplier Industries Corp. -

Manufactures rechargeable Ni-Cd, Ni-MH, Li-Ion and Factory Mutual approved batteries custom packaged for the OEM.

But there are plenty of SLAs available, also try Rocket (Global & Yuasa) and Casil (Chee Yuen) as I know these specific brands, among others, are used in FM-listed fire panels.

Reply to
larwe