Extending chipscope capture memory by using external async SRAM

Im just beginning to read about Chipscope from Xilinx, and up to now, Im impressed by the product, and how easy it is to use. But the obvious question that comes to my mind is that...

Is this doable; to extend the capture mem of ICON by connecting it somehow to external async SRAM. For our purpose (~5MHZ clk), which is slow by BRAM standard, it would be just a waste to spend all the bram of my XCV300 on the ILA. I think it is actually feasible, disconnecting the busses going to the BRAM, maybe using FPGA editor, from the ICON core and reroute them to external ram, but without proper documentation, this might take a while.

Has anyone done something like that?

Regards Jac

Reply to
Jac Athow

the closest we have done are

1) connecting a custom VIO like core to ICON 2) connecting a custom core to ICON allowing the ICON to be used to download brams blocks 3) collecting data from ILA using custom Analyzer style application

what you want todo, is not directly doable. ICON is basically a JTAG HUB, it allows up to 15 cores to be "inserted" into the JTAG chain (using the xilinx BSCAN primitive)

the actual "work" is done inside the cores connected to ICON, in most of the cases the ILA core, in order to use external RAM you would need to write your own "ICON compatible" ILA core

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats