evaluation edk in Spartan-3 starter kit

The Xilinx website isn't too clear with respect to the evaluation EDK included with the Spartan-3 starter kit. Does anyone know if it is time limited or feature limited? Can I run the reference microblaze designs with it? Also, does anyone know if the starter kit will ship with ISE/EDK 8.1i when it itself ships? Thanks!

cheers, aaron

Reply to
aholtzma

Aaron, IIRC, the Spartan 3 Eval kit shipped with a 60 day eval EDK 6_3 back in Feb 2005. It also came with a 60 day ISE6_3 eval. I have no information what they ship now.

-Newman

Reply to
Newman

Thanks. One other thing, do the discs come with the linux binaries as well?

cheers, aaron

Reply to
aholtzma

Cannot remember exactly, because I do not use the Linux versions, but if I had to take a guess, I would say yes.

-Newman

Reply to
Newman

not mine, only device files for all plattforms (or I didnot see it anyhow ...)

Michael

--
Remove the sport from my address to obtain email
www.enertex.de - Innovative Systemlösungen der Energie- und Elektrotechnik

Yes it comes with a linux and solaris cd too

Reply to
news.hinet.net

nik

For the record, mine sadly came with only win32 binaries. Can anyone at Xilinx explain why this is? Is it just to save the cost of a few CDs? Are Linux users still considered second class users? I have to stoop to running it on VirtualPC on my Mac. Not exactly speedy.

Other the above problem, I find the Spartan-3 starter kit to be a tremendous value. Thanks to Xilinx for providing some really powerful tools and a decent hardware platform for next to nothing.

cheers, aaron

Reply to
aholtzma

BTW: Were can I download the linux binaries? I didnot see the EDK bins for linux

Michael

--
Remove the sport from my address to obtain email
www.enertex.de - Innovative Systemlösungen der Energie- und Elektrotechnik
Reply to
Michael Schuster

You can use it with the free WebPack software. I bought mine from Digilent (they actually make them for Xilinx) with a 400 S3 and it didn't come with any software.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Indeed, you can use WebPack. However, I bought the board to try the EDK, for which there is no free download.

cheers, aaron

Reply to
aholtzma

There is no download location for EDK on linux or anything else (as far as I can tell, I would love to be proven wrong).

cheers, aaron

Reply to
aholtzma

I've installed the win-bin yesterday with latest wine for suse. Well it seems to work out of the box here...

Michael

--
Remove the sport from my address to obtain email
www.enertex.de - Innovative Systemlösungen der Energie- und Elektrotechnik
Reply to
Michael Schuster

What version of wine ships with suse? I've just tried the wine 0.9, and it dies in weird ways. I'm simply doing a 'make -f system.make bits'.

cheers, aaron

Reply to
aholtzma