ethernet phy or mac

Hi

Does anyone have any experiences with connecting a MAC rather than a PHY to a spartan(3e).

I don't know yet whether to use a microblaze or my own state machine to connect to the ethernet. For microblaze, xilinx cores seem to want just an external PHY but surely a MAC would offload more stuff from the FPGA.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Regards

Colin

Reply to
colin

You probably need both.

The PHY is the magic interface to the wire.

The MAC is a digital interface that makes it all look like registers to some cpu. It might be on the PHY chip or it might be a fpga module.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

Colin,

A MAC+PHY costs more then a PHY, but you save the MAC IP cost and gates in the FPGA. It is a good alternative to consider.

Xilinx has a MicroBlaze interface to this type of device, called the EPC. They also have an application note that describes how to use it:

The app note uses a piece of hardware that is no longer available (Avnet P160 Comm 3 module), but you can look at the Spartan-3 Mini- Module which also has the 91C111 MAC+PHY.

Bryan

col> Hi

Reply to
Bryan

Bryan

Thanks for your reply, as a result I've made a much better job of searching the xilinx website.

Colin

Reply to
colin

Although one would logically expect that to be the case, in my experience it isn't always true. I suspect it has to do with the high volume in which PCI Ethernet MAC/PHY chips are used in PCs.

For instance, at one time a Realtek 10/100 MAC/PHY was quoted at a lower price than the Realtek 10/100 standalone PHY, in the same quantity. I don't know if that's still the case.

Reply to
Eric Smith