ethernet MAC and switch

Hello friends,

I Have just started going through ethernet.my doubt is what is the main functionality of Ethernet MAC??? In switch controller implementation on FPGA does 4 tranceivers require 4 Ethernet MAC's???if so why??Because the source and the destination systems will have ethernet controller and MAC built in???please answer these questions.It's haunting me.

Thanks. Regards, Hema.

Reply to
hema

In my university project i had a little touch with ethernet mac. can you rephrase your question?... i didn't understand the problem.. perhaps i could help..

Guy

hema wrote:

functionality of Ethernet MAC??? In switch controller implementation on FPGA does 4 tranceivers require 4 Ethernet MAC's???if so why??Because the source and the destination systems will have ethernet controller and MAC built in???please answer these questions.It's haunting me.

Reply to
Guy_FPGA

A switch receive, store and then re-send the packet. (Well, in a store and forward architecture ... it could resen don the fly some packet but that's beside the point).

So essentially it has a "network card" at each of it's port and therefore requires a MAC, that will talk to the PHY and ensure the "on-wire" protocol is respected, check checksum, interpacket gap, send pause frames, ... As a switch needs some "intelligence" to do it's job, it needs this. You can probably use simplified MAC in some aspect but that stills statys a MAC ... (Medium Access Controller -> control what's going on on the wire).

Sylvain

functionality of Ethernet MAC??? In switch controller implementation on FPGA does 4 tranceivers require 4 Ethernet MAC's???if so why??Because the source and the destination systems will have ethernet controller and MAC built in???please answer these questions.It's haunting me.

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut