Enabler for New FPGA Companies

There seem to be a spate of new FPGA companies coming out. The road block to new FPGA companies has always been two things, patents and software... a nd maybe software patents. lol

So what has changed?

For sure FPGAs have been around long enough that many of the basic patents have expired. The LUT/FF combo that is the basis for all FPGAs has been av ailable for some time now. Has some other fundamental patent expired more recently to allow these companies to rise from the primordial soup?

Then there is the effort required to develop the software to design these p arts. I suppose with the various third party tools that cost has been redu ced compared to starting from scratch, but it still has to cost a lot unles s they are mimicking other, existing devices which I don't think they are d oing, are they?

In the last 20 years I don't know that I've seen any new FPGA companies oth er than mergers. Now there are at least four newcomers to the business. W here/how did this happen?

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

k to new FPGA companies has always been two things, patents and software... and maybe software patents. lol

s have expired. The LUT/FF combo that is the basis for all FPGAs has been available for some time now. Has some other fundamental patent expired mor e recently to allow these companies to rise from the primordial soup?

parts. I suppose with the various third party tools that cost has been re duced compared to starting from scratch, but it still has to cost a lot unl ess they are mimicking other, existing devices which I don't think they are doing, are they?

ther than mergers. Now there are at least four newcomers to the business. Where/how did this happen?

How are they handling synthesis? Are they getting Synplify or somebody els e to do that? I would think synthesis software would be one of the biggest roadblocks.

Reply to
Kevin Neilson

That's just a guess, but I wouldn't be suprised if they used open source Yosys suite. It has already proven to be quite reliable tool.

Reply to
Adrian Byszuk