EDK tutorial?????

Hey all, Does anybody know of a good tutorial for EDK 6.2 that doesn't explicitly use a premade dev board. I want to create a project from scratch and add a plb buss and a few devices to the plb buss. There are so many wires and unknowns that I can't do this without some useful instruction manual or tutorial to copy from. Does this exist and if not am i crazy for asking for it?

Matt

Reply to
Matthew E Rosenthal

Symon

I would rather not use the ultracontroller design anymore. I want to create a EDK project from scratch, add a plb buss, add a few peripherials(gpio and uart). Doesnt sound like i am asking for the world but i am having a tough time finding some simple instructions on how to do it.

anybody know where i can find some instructions for this?

Matt

Reply to
Matthew E Rosenthal

time

Well, I can only tell you how I learned to use the EDK (no tutorial, sorry): use the included wizard to generate a basic system for one of the supported boards, for example the ML300, and then either start from this (and make whatever changes to the UCF), or read through the generated files to understand them. Since the ML300 supports gpio and uarts, the wizard should generate all the necessary components, i.e. ppc, plb, plb2opb, opb, opb_gpio, opb_uart16550.

Good luck. EDK really isn't that hard to use :-)

-g

Reply to
Gerd

time

My approach was to take an existing project, and then figuring out how the pieces went together. I found the EDK gui to be more trouble than it is worth, at least for me.

The fundamental thing to notice is that the EDK "project" is really just a makefile, generally system.make, that is created by the GUI. This makefile can be executed manually on the command line. When you run the makefile, it invokes a bunch of programs, and you can see what it is invoking and with what parameters.

Each command invoked is documented somewhat (though the documentation as usual is somewhat lacking), so looking up how each command was invoked allows you to soon figure out what it is doing. Then to make changes, I just add and remove pieces and edit the the project files manually. The inevitable resulting error messages generally have been enough to steer me in the right direction.

--
My real email is akamail.com@dclark (or something like that).
Reply to

This site has some very good tutorials which got my and my colleague started with EDK.

Although they use a ML300 board they explain very thoroughly how to connect every signal.

Hope it helps...

With regards

// Jonas

Reply to