EDK PowerPC ISS : download errors?

Has anyone successfully used the PowerPC Instruction-Set Simulator packaged with
EDK (8.1)? I can set it up and launch XMD, but whenever I try to download an elf
file it lists all the parts of the file and then reports

"Failed to download ELF file

Unable to write to Sim"

Any subsequent attempts to download or run result in the error

"Error in Resetting Target"

I seem to be able to download just fine to hardware with XMD, but not everyone
involved in the research I'm doing has access to the actual board, so it would
be nice to have the simulator working, even if its functionality is limited.

ISE 8.2 WebPack does not support Virtex-5 at all?
WebPack and SP1 are available but it looks like the ISE WebPack does not
support any Virtex-5 devices at all? I did assume smallest Virtex-5 would be
supported. what a pity.

Antti

Re: ISE 8.2 WebPack does not support Virtex-5 at all?
Antti, not nice to hijack Sean thread.

Anyway is perhaps Austin's attitude "I still have no idea why this
matters whatsoever" is the official Xilinx position (cf.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.arch.fpga/tree/browse_frm/thread/d3a75da111b452a3/a852a6a48db9a88b?rnum=1&q=new+largest+&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fcomp.arch.fpga%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2Fd3a75da111b452a3%2F462b1ea94d885aa4%3Fq%3Dnew+largest+%26rnum%3D1%26#doc_a0535aeea2a09638 )

Maybe ISE 9.0 will be better.

Tommy

Re: ISE 8.2 WebPack does not support Virtex-5 at all?

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.arch.fpga/tree/browse_frm/thread/d3a75da111b452a3/a852a6a48db9a88b?rnum=1&q=new+largest+&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fcomp.arch.fpga%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2Fd3a75da111b452a3%2F462b1ea94d885aa4%3Fq%3Dnew+largest+%26rnum%3D1%26#doc_a0535aeea2a09638 )

I already apologized!

I havent been able to post with outlook express for a while and I had
forgotten that by hitting reply and changing subject to completly new one
the post is still going as reply. silly stupid me. sorry again, wasnt
intentional.

Antti

Re: ISE 8.2 WebPack does not support Virtex-5 at all?
ops, I posted incorrectly as reply. sorry.
and another ops, 5 seconds ago claimed that I already said sorry, but that
sorry was sent to the OP only not as reply to me wrong posting

Antti

Re: ISE 8.2 WebPack does not support Virtex-5 at all?
Sounds like a tough newsgroup day for you, Antti.  I hope tomorrow is a much
better experience.  At home I switched to "thunderbird" (a netscape/mozilla
offshoot) and have had a decent time with posting there.

Re: ISE 8.2 WebPack does not support Virtex-5 at all?

Antti
  Someone in Xilinx should send you whatever is needed, to work with
Virtex-5 :) [Peter?]

  More generally, I can only guess they are trying to throttle demand
from the wider user base (to Xilinx, the "great unwashed"), for parts
that are still very green.

  Problem is, that mindset can get you into trouble : if users cannot
even synthesise an older design, to see how fast a V5 might be, then V5
goes off their radar pretty quickly.

[ It also means the bugs in V5 will hang about longer....  ]

  If Lattice and Altera DO allow the newest-process leading-devices to
be timed, in their free tools, then Xilinx can loose out, and never
realise it is happening.
  This type of voting with the feet, is done silently.

-jg

Re: EDK PowerPC ISS : download errors?

- same here I tried once got the same error and gave up.

Antti

Site Timeline