EDK Microblaze project without OPB?

Hi, all.

Is it known to be possible to create a Microblaze system without the OPB?

For example, say I have 1 MicroBlaze with 16KB of d&i BRAM, but I don't necessarily need the off-chip SDRAM or UART (or any OPB slave peripheral at all), so I don't include the OPB. And say it's part of a larger network to justify not needing the OPB for any peripherals.

Currently, my 8.2 version has an issue with the BRAM when I don't include the OPB, and gives me an error (ERROR:Mablib:482). I was wondering if this is a problem with my particular system, or if it's a universal requirement for MicroBlaze projects to include at least one OPB slave. Or if it's a legitimate bug.

Thanks!

Reply to
JD Newcomb

It should be possible to create such a system. I've seen projects that only have MicroBlaze + LMB + a peripheral on FSL.

-Siva

Reply to
Siva Velusamy

You don't need an OPB connection for the MicroBlaze to operate properly. It's possible that the MicroBlaze can be connected only via LMB (or XCL) and FSL. One possible system is using multiple MicroBlazes as stream processors where data is pushed in via the FSL to one MicroBlaze. This MB then performs some data calculation/ manipulation/etc then passes it to another MB via the FSL. This MB could perform data repackaging, DMA chain creation, etc and then push the data to another piece of hardware (internal or external), once again via FSL.

Reply to
morphiend