EDK 9.2 Woes

I updated to EDK 9.2 primarily b/c we are building a new project and I wanted the latest MPMC3 core. Here are some things that I have noticed while using it:

1) Instance name changes in the EDK GUI do not propagate to the MHS file. So if you change a name, and the GUI updates, the name changes back to what it was when the core was pulled in. You have to manually change the MHS for a name change to stick. No big deal. There is an easy workaround...but annoying.

2) The MPMC3 configuration GUI displayed the correct address width and bank address width for my DDR2 memory. However, it did not propagate those parameters to the MHS. The core then uses the default MPD values...which are incorrect. I had to manually add the changed parameters to the MHS. What worries me is that there are other parameters that were not propagated to the MHS.

3) I am using one port of the MPMC3 as an NPI implementation. My custom IP is setup with the correct NPI information (Answer Record 24912). In EDK 9.1 the MPMC2 NPI port connected directly to my custom IP in the bus configuration tab area. Now I cannot connect the MPMC3 to my peripheral. There are 'No connections' available from the MPMC3 side of things. My custom peripheral looks the same as in EDK 9.1. I had to resort to manually connecting the bus interfaces in the ports tab.

4) In simulation, the MPMC3 core goes into calibration mode and runs infinitely. I have dug into the HDL enough to know that it is stuck in one state of the physical layer cal routine. The DDR2 memory seems to be behaving itself.

5) I added an older OPB custom peripheral and all the bus IP and bridging IP needed. I assigned an address range for the custom IP. However, libgen would not update the xparameters.h file with that address info. I added it manually, but the next time libgen was run, that info was blown away.

All of the above used to work when I had an EDK 9.1 project and an MPMC2 core. I've opened WebCases for most of these items.

Anyone working with EDK 9.2 experiencing these or other issues?

Reply to
motty

I'm pretty sure I've renamed peripherals in the 9.2 GUI, and had them stick. If you also had the MHS file open, maybe you re-saved the MHS file after modifying the name via the GUI - this might case it to go inconsistent. If you want to tweak the system both by MHS hand edits, and via the GUI, you need to be careful, the tool can infer only so much of your intention!

Did you add a driver entry for the bridge ands peripheral in the MSS file (or assign a driver in the software platform settings dialog)?

Regards,

John

Reply to
John Williams

Thanks John,

I definitely tried (and just re-verified) changing an instance name with the MHS file closed and it still did not stick. I am doing this from the ports tab. I may try from the bus tab.

The xparameter.h file was my fault. I had a typo in the OPB peripheral address that placed it out of the plb-to-opb bridge's address range. : )

By the way, the NPI bus interface thing was solved by a Xilinx app engineer. There is an apparently undocumented change. The NPI bus naming convention in the custom peripheral's MPD has to change from 'NPI' to 'XIL_NPI'. After making these changes, the NPI bus connections work as they should. I am hoping this may solve the simulation issue as well and am about to try that.

I am VERY impressed with the response time from Xilinx regarding these cases. I try not to open them without trying a lot of things myself or coming here and searching. But with a new EDK release, I have learned from past experience, it is sometimes easier and faster to open a WebCase. It would have taken me a long time (if ever) to find the NPI to XIL_NPI thing!

Reply to
motty