EDK 6.2 and Linux

Hey all,

A quick note on getting EDK 6.2 to work on (a modern distribution) Linux. Since I am using a "non-xilinx-supported Linux distribution," Xilinx hotline would not help me in this matter. However, I believe this problem _may_ apply to those running the supported distributions.

After getting the EDK running (see tips below) when I attempted to compile a design using a licensed core (i2c, 16550 uart, ethernet) the EDK 6.2 reported that it could not find a license for those files. I saw a few comments on EDK 6.1 solaris installs about using xlicmgr to determine which licenses are installed. The utility reported no licenses found, though they were there. The solution:

1) in addition to the environment variables in setup.csh, another variable MUST be added to detect the licenses. Mine looks as follows: export XIL_CG_LICENSE_DIR=/usr/local/EDK/data/core_licenses

2) for some very odd reason, EDK 6.2 linux does not look for licenses such as "opb_uart16550_v1_00_c.lic", but looks for "pb_uart16550_v1_00_c.lic" This was first noticed when the edk could not find these "pb...lic" files. The solution was to copy the offending opb licenses to "pb" licenses.

Hope this helps others. I'm gratefulthat the EDK works under Linux.

Note: to get Xilinx ISE/EDK setup in Linux under "non-supported Linux distributions" these tips may be of assistance:

Run Xilinx6.2/settings.sh and EDK6.2/setup.csh or add the environment exports to your ~/.bashrc.

add: export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 (necessary for Wind/U)

if using GDM as your xfree86 login manager, edit gdm.conf (i.e. /etc/gdm/gdm.conf) and in the "command=" remove "-nolisten tcp". This may pose a security risk to some, but it lets Wind/U operate locally.

Tony

Reply to
Tony