EDK 10.1 first impressions

Hi

here it goes: I got last week new notebook that is faster then the desktop, so I installed 10.x tools there.

And I had a small task to verify something with ML505, so I fire up EDK 10.1 open the ML505 reference design, and within 3 minutes EDK self-terminates.

So TTFFF (time to first fatal failure) 3 minutes.

Ok, this way my fault i opened the XMP project from compressed folder, how foolish from me. But even so EDK should not self-terminate on such event IMHO.

Now I open the project from normal folder, after project rev-up the file isnt opened.

NEED MANUAL fix!

I have been told that there are many people who have tested the 10.1 before release, i would have assumed the Xilinx DEFAULT MAIN refernece design for ML505 was tested as one of the first test cases, but no it wasnt.

Ok, I fix manually the MHS file.

After some hour of implementation run the project fails with some IO stuff regarding the TEMAC placement something, whatever the project does not run completle.

Now I open the other larger ML505 ref design (the main one i think) the std_usb_ip something..

after again some while, I get some termination regarding some fatal thing with some GUIerror !!:(

And I only wanted to test some simple C code on ML505 to measure the sysACE performance.

A task that should take 2 hours max, but now I already spent 5 hours because the 10.1 mockup.

Ok, back to EDK 9.2SP2 ML505 ref design, it does revup because SP update, it takes 5 hours to complete and both the external memories SRAM and DDR2 on ML505 do not work. the auto SP revup must have messed up something with the memory cores.

Ok, my test program will fit BRAMs so maybe i can finally do that small C code test that I wanted todo initially.

Antti PS, I was thinking that 10.1 is not suggested for ML505, but when i just NOW opened the ml505 support PDFs they list ISE 10.1 and EDK 10.1

Xilinx, if you say ML505 is to be used with EDK 10.1 then PLEASE fix the revup or make the 10.1 version of EDK ref design available!

I dont want spend weeks to troubleshoot why xilinx ML505 ref design doesnt work with EDK 10.1

Reply to
Antti

UUPS, I downloaded the ML505 ref designs yesterday (they where for

9.2) it seems today the 10.1 versions are available.. sorry I did not check them

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Still, I think that you have a valid point that the rev up should be working properly. Ref designs are nice but most people will have custom designs in 9.2 that they want to migrate to 10.1.

Personnaly I'll try to wait until at least the first service pack, OR until I encounter a bug in 9.2 that is fixed in 10.1...

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Dubois

FWIW, our Avnet FAE told us that the 10.1 EDK was exactly the same as the 9.2 EDK. It was given a rev bump so that Xilinx wouldn't get the usual howls about the EDK shipping months after the ISE tools.

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters

same as 10.1 ? HAHA, tell that FAE to...[insert your favortites]

Antti

Reply to
Antti

This is absolutely not true. EDK 10.1 is not equal to EDK 9.2.

Ed

Reply to
Ed McGettigan

Some software is more equal than other software ....

George O.

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma