DVI implementation

I wonder if DVI can be implemented on an FPGA fabric - I mean receiver
and transmitter.
Some concerns I have:
I/O cell
Tx/Rx protocol
Serialization

Thanks in advance,

Luc

Re: DVI implementation
Hi,

sure it can be implemented. I am about to do it.

What concerns do You have exactly?

Serialization is no problem (I have done it for a LVDS LCD Interface).
I/O cell, what do You mean? You have to use the OBUFDS Peripheral of the
FPGA (in my case Xilinx Virtex II Pro), that does the electrical LVDS stuff.
The Tx/Rx protocol is explained completely in the DVI specs, which can
be found here: http://www.ddwg.org/downloads.html .

regards,
Benjamin

Re: DVI implementation

Are you sure that the OBUFDS does the job - LVDS is different to TMDS,
which is what DVI specifies?  Last I spoke to Xilinx, they do not
support TMDS so far.

The TMDS drivers only drive an active-low via a current-source, with a
resistive termination pullup at the receiver.  Fig 4-1 in my DVI spec.

Cheers,
Martin

--
snipped-for-privacy@trw.com
TRW Conekt, Solihull, UK

I figured out so far, that I have to use a TFP401 from TI for the TMDS
interface.

What DVI application are you developing?

regards,
Benjamin

Re: DVI implementation

We use DVI to display the results of our image processing system - we
used VGA on the previous-generation system, but getting RAMDACs was
getting harder and harder.  We ended up with the TFP410 as well!

Cheers,
Martin

--
snipped-for-privacy@trw.com
TRW Conekt, Solihull, UK

do You store an entire frame in the fpga ram, or just one line and keep
the DVI and Display LVDS synchronized using the variable hsync period of
  the LCD?

Do You do any image processing in the fpga, overshooting or scaling?

regards,
Benjamin

Re: DVI implementation

Whole frames - we do overlay graphics on the image we captured.

Yep, lots of that, although not specifically overshooting (whatever
that is) or scaling. And we provide lots of peripherals for the DSP:
CAN, LIN, UARTs, I2C, even turning some LEDs on and off :-)

Cheers,
Martin

--
snipped-for-privacy@trw.com