DSP Builder @ System Generator

I am evaluating them to see if they would be any benifit for a project I am working on. So far I have not been able to run the Xilinx tool because they do not support the current version of Mathworks. From what I can tell it is possible that the whole design could be done in Simulink using the Altera tools, but I find myself asking why. The only real benifit I can see is that the Mathworks tools make a great functional simulation tool. I guess I could see where the wiring could be faster for some people. I am surprized that Altera does not have all of the Simulink functions in the Mega libs.

Has anyone used one of these tools? What's your thoughts?

Reply to
lecroy7200

Hi there, I have not used DSP Builder, but have used System Generator, and also Synplify DSP, a similar tool from Synplicity. These are both able to integrate into Matlab and allow you to use the filter design tools it provides to design filters easily - only a couple of steps are needed to go from a filter specification in Matlab to a finished hardware design in most cases.

As well as allowing you to target chips from both Altera and Xilinx, Synplify DSP also has a couple of extra interesting features. It allows you to automatically fold a system (ie. go from a fully parallel specification to one which uses shared functional components), or automatically multi-channelize it so that several interleaved channels of data are processed by the same hardware.

Cheers, Jon

snipped-for-privacy@chek.com wrote:

Reply to
Jon