driving high speed ADC using an FPGA

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if it would be possible to drive a 800 MHz 10 bit
parellel A/D using an FPGA which has a 100MHz system clock.

Thanks,

Sanka

Re: driving high speed ADC using an FPGA
Probably.  Budget also works into the decision.
Do you have your FPGA family or specific device already targeted?
Please consider driving your ADC clock from a clean source that doesn't
include the FPGA in the path; crosstalk from other I/O "near" a clock
generated by the FPGA will add jitter to your high speed clock that could be
detrimental to a very high performance system.

Re: driving high speed ADC using an FPGA

I'm not sure what you mean by drive the ADC with the FPGA.  The signal
flow is the other way around: the ADC will drive the FPGA.  You should
not drive your ADC clocks from the FPGA.  The jitter introduced by the
FPGA will absolutely kill the noise performance of the ADC at 800MHz.
At 100 MHz it will reduce the SNR to considerably less than the 10 bits.

Use a clean external clock to clock the ADC.  Most high speed ADCs have
a clock output that can be fed to the FPGA to get a clean transfer of
the ADC data into the FPGA.

Re: driving high speed ADC using an FPGA
As Andraka pointed out, I guess you want your ADC Ouput connected to
the FPGA and if from what you mean the ADC is gonna sample at 800 Mhz
and you want the process those samples in your FPGA which can only work
at the max of 100 Mhz clock, the only way to do that is to use a DMUX
chip prior to the FPGA on board. There are DMUX chips available that
will demux 1:4 or 1:8 which also gives the slowed down data latch
signals (clock) which can be used as clock to latch the demux data
inside the FPGA.

Hope this helps.

Venkat.

Re: driving high speed ADC using an FPGA
Thank you very much everyone for your help. I was originally thinking of
the problem in the wrong way around. Now I understand what you mean. I
have not yet determined what parts to use. At this stage I am still
scoping the problem.

Thank you,

Sanka