Dram Refresh Controller Tutorial wanted

Hi... I have a desire to interface some dram to a project and was internet searching for some in depth tutorials on refresh controllers, but haven't found anything that I am happy with. Does anyone know of a good internet link for interfacing to dram?

Thanks Jim

Reply to
Jim Flanagan

What sort of DRAM? Original asynchronous stuff? Single data rate SDRAM? DDR or DDR 2 or DDR 3?

I would think that the refresh control is a very small and simple part of the overall control logic. This of course depends on whether you want to just make sure the memory doesn't "forget" or if you want to increase performance using burst refresh or leaving out unnecessary refresh, or if you want to "scrub" the memory in an ECC system.

There are some older DDR SDRAM designs available as reference designs with app notes on the Xilinx site. Again, you need to specify which type of DRAM you are using, because the control will be different for each case.

Regards, Gabor

Reply to
Gabor