Downloading to an FPGA

Hello,

I have an XILINX FPGA evaluation board with a JTAG pod, which connects to the parallel port. To download my VHDL code I'm using the iMPACT software. If I repeatably download code to the FPGA it starts to act in a strange way e.g. parts of it just stop working. The only way I can overcome this is to remove the power supply and then reattach it, therefore reseting it. After doing this everything works fine.

Is this a common problem with FPGA's or am I doing something wrong? Could it be a problem in my code or do I just have to keep toggling the power to the FPGA?

Thanks for any advice,

Reply to
Chris

I think only the Virtex II or Pro has a "reset device" command from JTAG. You need to ground the prog pin or remove the power each time. The only other way might be to make a "blank" design and load that before you load your design. Just as a matter of jargon you download bitstreams that make come from VHDL you don't download a VHDL file.

Steve

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This communication (and/or the documents accompanying it) may contain privileged or other confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received it in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail and immediately delete the message and any attachments without copying, using or disclosing the contents. Thank you for your cooperation.

software.

way

After

Reply to