Doulos training courses at Xilinx

Hi:

While I'm very able to learn on my own, I feel that at my age and with so many people pulling at me every minute, that to assemble the hours of focussed attention to actually work through a significant amount of study material, these sorts of immersion courses are beneficial.

Of course, that also assumes that my employer is willing to pay for it, which they are. If I had to pay, then the economics would be in favor of cracking a book and taking the fully DIY approach--which is basically how I've learned nearly everything I know about electronics to date.

Of course, these sorts of courses require a lot of DIY follow-through to drive things home.

In this case, since I have quite a bit of increasingly complicated (though still fairly simple by the standards of most experts) FPGA development to do over the next few years, there will be ample opportunity to exercise what I have learned.

I think the point is, that there are a lot of practices that aren't obviated by simply reading a Verilog textbook. Even some of the "learn by example" books have some shoddy practices.

Also, I suffer from "tool overwhelmitis" syndrome, where there are so many sub-tools in the vendor's development environment that I don't know what they are all for.

Anyway, I am considering to take the "Comprehensive Verilog" and "Essentials and Design for Performance" classes by Doulos at Xilinx in Dec.

Just wondering if people think these are worthwhile?

Thanks for input. And output too. Just no high-z's!

Good day!

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC

Why Verilog? If you have a background in programming you might find VHDL easier to work with.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I thought very carefully about the decision to use Verilog years ago. My background is electronics, with a bunch of programming, mostly low-level to go along with it.

But I have to do many things, and sometimes I will do a burst of logic/embedded work, then go align lasers for 6 months. What I come back to needs to be as simple as possible.

Verilog is less verbose than VHDL. I consider VHDL to be the Java of HDLs. I don't need that. So far I have been happy with working with Verilog. It's fairly easy to understand. I'd just like an immersion type of experience right now to cover in a few short days all the details that I need to learn about, even if I don't necessarily commit them to memory in that short time, or fully get all their implications.

Likewise with the toolset.

Thanks for the comment.

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC
crobcBOGUS@REMOVETHISsbcglobal.net
SuSE 10.3 Linux 2.6.22.17
Reply to
Mr.CRC

(snip)

I have worked with Java, and it isn't that wordy. Some have compared VHDL to ADA, though I haven't worked with ADA enough to know. I can usually read VHDL enough to figure out what it does, but won't claim to be able to write it.

Some years ago, I was told that VHDL was more common for FPGA designs, and verilog for ASIC designs, but I believe even that isn't true by now.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

"Some have compared VHDL to ADA, though I haven't worked with ADA enough to know."

Both were developed at the behest of the USA DoD, and a cursory examination of example code from each will draw you to the inevitable conclusion that VHDL's syntax was derived from that of Ada's. Which should not be a surprise...

Note: 'Ada' is not an acronym, but 'VHDL' is.

RCIngham

It depends on personal preference I guess. To me Verilog looks like a lot of gibberish so I use VHDL. What I also like about VHDL is its power. VHDL may be more verbose but once you treat it as a programming language a simple function can reduce the number of typing required considerably.

A nice example is a priority encoder. If you search with Google for an example you'll see 9 out of 10 people write an equation for each output. Only one writes a function consisting of 3 lines which has the additional advantage of being generic.

And don't get me started on designs which can be adjusted by means of few simple parameters...

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

(snip, someone wrote)

(snip)

I mostly write structural verilog, with continuous assignment and module references. Behavioral (always blocks) mostly for registers and state machines.

You mean for each input? It seems, good or bad, that most synthesis tools do pretty well with the verbose form, though.

Last time I wrote one, for 40 inputs, I did it nested, first writing the eight input encoder, then five of those, and the logic to put the result together. I believe it was pipelined, with a register between the two.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

I started my FPGA development with a comprehensive VHDL course when working at Nortel 15 years ago!

I think the Doulos courses are considered well structured. I found the tutor to be good at explaning concepts and he knew his stuff enough to answer any of our questions at the time.

If your employer's paying for it it's a no-brainer.

On language choice I'm a 99% VHDL user but I believe there are a few verilog constructs that can bite you if you don't remember what you're doing. If you're dipping in and out of FPGA development with long breaks between it might be better to concentrate on VHDL which forces you to do it right?

As others have said a few macros will cut the amount of typing down drastically.

Nial.

Reply to
Nial Stewart

to be

Yes it is! The kind of no-brainer I like.

Well perhaps what I'll do is have my employer pay for "Comprehensive VHDL" at a later time.

It does look like I'll be doing quite a bit of Verilog for a while, and some of the most biting concepts have already begun to reach unforgettable status.

Thanks for the input.

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC
crobcBOGUS@REMOVETHISsbcglobal.net
SuSE 10.3 Linux 2.6.22.17
Reply to
Mr.CRC

[...]

So let's get the disclosure out of the way: I worked for Doulos until a couple of years ago, parted in a friendly way, and still have occasional contact with them (but no financial links at all).

I'd absolutely echo all Nial said. Certainly Doulos (in common with other reputable training providers) take real care to provide a good experience for delegates, and offer good after-course support too. Their Verilog course is mature, stable and well-maintained, and they don't employ script-reading droids to do the presentation - you'll get someone who really knows their stuff and will be happy to answer your specific questions. The improvement in your own productivity that a good class can provide will far, far outweigh the cost of the class and of your lost time in attending it.

HOWEVER... I would also mention that, as a professional with a real job to do, you should take a class like that only if you will have the chance to use its content immediately when you have completed the class. Even two weeks' interval between learning and using your new knowledge will really degrade the effectiveness of any class, no matter how good. But if you can start to use the class content immediately, then the excellent course notes and examples will be a good second-best to having a tutor/mentor sat next to you while you work.

--
Jonathan Bromley
Reply to