doubling clock rate does what to power consumption?

Hi folks,

Been checking the archives for an answer to this one without much luck...

What does doubling the clock rate of a design on an FPGA do to the power consumption (in general - I am just looking for a rule of thumb here..)?

If you need some assumptions to answer:

Assume: critical path is a 25-bit carry chain in an adder. a highly pipelined design occupying most of the device.

Not sure what else would be useful assumptions-wise - please feel free to add your own! :-)

Also, if I double my clock rate and reduce my hardware by half due to sharing hardware over 2 clock cycles, obviously the reduced hardware will reduce power consumotion and the increased clock will increase power consumption, question is, which is the overriding factor? (the clock I guess?).

Again, just looking for a rule of thumb.

Cheers,

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Back o the envelope..

Dynamic Power = CV^2F.

Static Power = Constant...

Since you aren't scaling the voltage, if you double the frequency, what happens to the dynamic power?

And given that the leaking (static) power isn't half- the power dissipation yet.

Static vs Dynamic.

Also, logic which changes burns power, so such interleaving will probably reduce bit-history effects, upping power.

Nicholas C. Weaver

Ken,

Easy, just use the power estimator spreadsheet.

Austin

PS: generally speaking, if the dynamic power is dominating, CV^2F=P implies that the power will double if F is doubled, but there are lots of other fatcors you need to pay attention to, such as what the IOs are doing (did the data rate double there as well?), etc.

Ken wrote:

Reply to
Austin Lesea