Dongle compatibility

I've discovered incompatability between the ModelSim dongle and certain notebook computer's printer ports: They are

  1. Toshiba Satellite S150s (I would suspect all Satellites). I've experienced this personally. I had to returnthis notebook and get a CompaqPresario 2500 in its place to make sure the dongle works.
  2. Sony notebooks ( my local distributor has had this problem).

The rumor is that its a voltage incompatabilty issue, but I'm not sure.

Ted Lechman Utica, NY

Reply to
Ted Lechman

Did you verify that you had your port settings correct in the laptop's BIOS?

Reply to
William Wallace

Unfortunately, parallel and serial port dongles aren't really compatible with *anything*. They inevitably work by stealing power from the interface they're plugged into, and it's a matter of pure chance whether that will work at all, since the PC isn't obliged to provide power in this way. Not surprisingly, laptops are frequently problematic in this respect.

I would have thought a competent company should be able to supply a USB dongle, which may legally negotiate to draw up to 500mA from the port.

Alternatively, you might try wiring in an external PSU of some sort to supply the dongle? Ugly, but it might get you going.

Personally, I avoid dongles like the plague they are, but I realise there isn't always a credible alternative.

--
  Max
Reply to

Yes, of course - I spent the entire 14 day return period doing nothing else.

Reply to
Ted Lechman

Well, had to ask. But 14 days? This should have taken about 1 hour max, assuming you tried ECP and bi-directional, and didn't know how to get into your bios, and had to search around for the book...

Reply to
William Wallace