done pin didn't go high

Hi,

I'm working on a board of V2P70 and a flash memory. I didn't have any problems programming the FPGA however all of a sudden I receive an error of 'done pin didn't go high' while I'm trying to program the FPGA in Boundary Scan Mode. I still can initialize the noundary scan chain and assign the bit file to the FPGA yet I cannot program it.

I hope someone can help me

Reply to
ahakan

I had the same problems using parallel cable 3 - sometimes done pin did't go high. Now I am using Platform Cable USB and the problems are gone (and the programming is very fast).

Cheers,

Guru

Reply to
Guru

Thanks for your response, but I am using Parallel Cable IV, so I guess the problem is not due to the parallel cable (I tried the Platform Cable USB as well).

Reply to
ahakan

If you're sure your programming hardware is OK, then you probably have a bad bit stream. The FPGA won't raise done if the stream fails certain checks.

Are you sure it's formatted correctly for the programming mode?

Reply to
ghelbig

problem is not due to the parallel cable (I tried the Platform Cable USB as well).

I have the same problem from time to time with PCIV (not tried with other cables) and XC3S400.

Sometimes it is just a momentary problem, you muts just try again and it programs OK. Sometimes it is plain stupidity of (I suppose) the FPGA, switch power off and on again, it usually works.

Best regards,

Zara

Reply to
Zara

problem is not due to the parallel cable (I tried the Platform Cable USB as well).

Hi,

I have had this problem with certain bit files on Spartan 2, 2e and 3. If you are just loading the FPGA then power cycling will probably be adequate - if you are using FLash to program the FPGA at power up you may need to erase the flash first, then power cycle.

kevin

Reply to
kevinjwhite

I have always had this problem using the parallel cable IV as above. Even with my Virtex 4 board the problem was even more apparent likely because the bit files are so much larger. My strategy was to switch the board off and on and restart iMPACT and possibly even regenerate the bit file. I think that the parallel stream occasionally creates errors and this error happens. I always program the SPROM and do my unit testing from there rather than program every time with the JTAG port.

Hope that helps, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Lohbihler