done pin didn't go high

I'm working on a board of V2P70 and a flash memory. I didn't have any problems
programming the FPGA however all of a sudden I receive an error of 'done pin
didn't go high' while I'm trying to program the FPGA in Boundary Scan Mode. I
still can initialize the noundary scan chain and assign the bit file to the FPGA
yet I cannot program it.

I hope someone can help me

Re: done pin didn't go high
I had the same problems using parallel cable 3 - sometimes done pin
did't go high.
Now I am using Platform Cable USB and the problems are gone (and the
programming is very fast).

Cheers,

Guru

Re: done pin didn't go high
Thanks for your response, but I am using Parallel Cable IV, so I guess the
problem is not due to the parallel cable (I tried the Platform Cable USB as
well).

Re: done pin didn't go high
If you're sure your programming hardware is OK, then you probably have
a bad bit stream.  The FPGA won't raise done if the stream fails
certain checks.

Are you sure it's formatted correctly for the programming mode?

Re: done pin didn't go high

problem is not due to the parallel cable (I tried the Platform Cable USB as
well).

I have the same problem from time to time with PCIV (not tried with
other cables) and XC3S400.

Sometimes it is just a momentary problem, you muts just try again and
it programs OK. Sometimes it is plain stupidity of (I suppose) the
FPGA, switch power off and on again, it usually works.

Best regards,

Zara

Re: done pin didn't go high

problem is not due to the parallel cable (I tried the Platform Cable USB as
well).

I have had this problem with certain bit files on Spartan 2, 2e and 3.
If you are just loading the FPGA then power cycling will probably be
adequate - if you are using FLash to program the FPGA at power up you
may need to erase the flash first, then power cycle.

kevin

Re: done pin didn't go high

I have always had this problem using the parallel cable IV as above. Even
with my Virtex 4 board the problem was even more apparent likely because the
bit files are so much larger. My strategy was to switch the board off and on
and restart iMPACT and possibly even regenerate the bit file. I think that
the parallel stream occasionally creates errors and this error happens. I
always program the SPROM and do my unit testing from there rather than
program every time with the JTAG port.

Hope that helps,
Andrew

Site Timeline