Dolby Digital AC-3 Decode on an FPGA - Possible ? Big ?

I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience or knows of any FPGA based implementations of Dolby Digital AC-3 decode (or similar algorithms) on an FPGA.

Specifically, I'd like to find out how resource intensive this may be. Any comments would be appreciated.

- PC

Reply to
PeterC

PeterC schrieb:

I believe the processing power requirements of AC-3 decoding are similar to multi channel mp3 decoding. In that case a microblaze processor with some extra hardware for DCT and Huffmann should be sufficient.

Of course you can also do a full hardware implementation, but for the software one you can port some open source software decoder.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma

And if you do port the open source decoder, libac3/liba52, be sure to heed the (GPL) license.

cheers, aaron

ps. would anyone be interested in an RTL AC3 decoder on commercial terms? I could probably crank one out in a few months part time.

Reply to
aholtzma