Do you understand what's at stake? - Page 2

Re: Do you understand what's at stake?
On 26.04.2016 0:15, Rick C. Hodgin wrote:

(skip)

Rick, there's also a scientific way to view (and address) that problem.
Have you read Kelly McGonigal's "The Willpower Instinct"?

"Some neuroscientists go so far as to say that we have one brain but two
minds?or even, two people living inside our mind. There?s the version of
us that acts on impulse and seeks immediate gratification, and the
version of us that controls our impulses and delays gratification to
protect our long-term goals. They?re both us, but we switch back and
forth between these two selves. Sometimes we identify with the person
who wants to lose weight, and sometimes we identify with the person who
just wants the cookie. This is what defines a willpower challenge: Part
of you wants one thing, and another part of you wants something else. Or
your present self wants one thing, but your future self would be better
off if you did something else. When these two selves disagree, one
version of us has to override the other. The part of you that wants to
give in isn?t bad?it simply has a different point of view about what
matters most."

Gene

Re: Do you understand what's at stake?

The natural man can only understanding things in natural forms.  They
call it "two minds," but in reality there is the one man, and the sin
nature, through which the evil spirits can influence the person to be
tempted into sin.

Jesus saves people who seek the truth.  If a person doesn't even know
what that truth will hold, where it will take them, and yet they are
intent on knowing it, God knows this as He sees straight through all
the outward facade, and into the heart, and He then begins to arrange
things in a person's life so they will be led here in the natural
world to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ (of recognizing sin, of
recognizing our own personal sin, of our need for repentance, and our
inner drive and desire to ask forgiveness, to which Jesus forgives us,
and then gives us the born again nature in that selfsame hour).

Jesus is everything we need.  He created the universe, and everything
that exists (including us) was created by Him.  He is well aware of
our problem, and for all those who seek the truth, He is there, ready,
willing, and able to save.

The natural man will never understand spiritual things.  But the one
seeking the truth is supernaturally augmented by God so that that man
or woman can know the truth, even though the flesh by itself cannot
know it.

God is active in our lives.  He leads us and guides us.  It's as the
wind blows.  We don't know where it comes from, or where it's going,
but we are able to hear the sound, and see the effects.  So it is also
for everyone born of the spirit, or in pursuit of truth before the day
they are born again.

God sees outside of time, and knows our beginning, and our ending.  He
is always there for those who will be saved.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin

Re: Do you understand what's at stake?

Thereby implicitly calling into question the value of belief systems that
don't think you need to follow your specific way.

And also, incidentally, using exactly the same language as just about all
of the so-called-Christian right who use Christ's name to gain power over
their fellow human beings, and then use that power to do a whole bunch of
exceedingly un-Christian things.

So -- every time you get the urge to show us all what a all-around
superior being you are by publicly praying, re-read Matthew 6.  Then keep
reading it until the urge to do EXACTLY WHAT JESUS TOLD YOU NOT TO DO
passes.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

Re: Do you understand what's at stake?

Why are you trying to turn the group into a theological debating forum?
  Can you just ignore transgressors and let the group settle down to
something more useful?  Provoking a debate will just prolong the
disruption.

--

Rick C

Re: Do you understand what's at stake?

I do not debate people.  I teach them.  There's a difference.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin

Re: Do you understand what's at stake?

There's also a difference between 'preach' and 'teach', perhaps you should
try to better understand that difference.  You earlier said that you don't
preach.  But by the Merriam-Webster simple definitions of the words 'preach
' (1) and 'teach' (2), your writings here fall under the label of 'preach'
much more than 'teach'.

While many people here I suspect are open to those who 'teach', they are al
so much against those who 'preach'.  If you do indeed 'teach', then you sho
uld be able to identify at least one person who has learned at least one le
sson in this forum from what you've written in this thread.  If you do iden
tify such a lesson, then maybe you should curtail your future writings to f
ocus on the little bit of writing that would result in the actual teaching
and learning of a lesson and stop the long-winded sermons and preaching tha
t do not contribute to any teaching.

I won't be engaging any further.  If I have enlightened you on how to under
stand the difference between 'preach' and 'teach', then I've succeeded in d
elivering my message.  If I haven't, then I won't go on since I can't force
 one to learn.

There are thousands of other newsgroups out there that you can find out the
re as well.  No need to focus your attention on this group (or others that
I read), spread it around to other groups...please

Kevin

(1) http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/preach
Preach:
: to make a speech about religion in a church or other public place
: to deliver a sermon
: to write or speak about (something) in an approving way
: to say that (something) is good or necessary
: to write or speak in an annoying way about the right way to behave

(2) http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/teach
Teach:
: to cause or help (someone) to learn about a subject by giving lessons
: to give lessons about (a particular subject) to a person or group
: to cause or help (a person or animal) to learn how to do something by giv
ing lessons, showing how it is done, etc.

Re: Do you understand what's at stake?

The subject I'm teaching about is the Bible, Jesus Christ, and salvation.
It will come across as preachy to many people, but it is teaching in all
ways because there is an active enemy of this world who teaches falsely
about Jesus Christ, and even entices men to do sinful things under the
name and banner of being a servant of Jesus Christ.

That enemy is the enemy.  Jesus is the cure.  And those who will seek
the truth will know the difference.

-----
The message of the cross is not for everybody.  It is only for those
people who will be saved.  If you can hear His voice, His call in your
heart, listen to Him.  He is calling out to you to save your eternal
soul.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin

Re: Do you understand what's at stake?

Jesus is THE way, THE truth, and THE life.

If you think about it logically, Tim, how many ways do you need?  Is one
insufficient?

How many true truths are there, for example?  There is only one.  "How old
are you, Rick?"  There's only one correct answer to that:  "46".  Anything
else and I'll be either in a different frame of accounting (n units instead
of 46 years, in which case my original answer is still true, even though
they are other true answers as they all fundamentally relate back to the
save answer), or I'll be lying.  There is only one truth.

And how many sources of life are there?  Is one insufficient to do the job?

And then when you read the Bible and look at the life of Jesus Christ, you
conclude something along the lines of what Napoleon concluded:

    http://www.stempublishing.com/magazines/bt/BT17/1889_319_Napoleons_Testimony.html
    "I know men, and I tell you that Jesus Christ is not a man.
     Superficial minds see a resemblance between Christ and the
     founders of empires and the gods of other religions. That
     resemblance does not exist. There is between Christianity
     and every other religion the distance of infinity.

    "We can say to the authors of every other religion, You are
     neither gods nor the agents of Deity. You are but missionaries
     of falsehood, moulded from the same clay with the rest of mortals.
     You are made with all the passions and vices inseparable from them.
     Your temples and your priests proclaim your origin. Such will be
     the judgment, the cry of conscience, of whoever examines the gods
     and the temples of paganism..."

Seek after Jesus Christ, Tim.  Not men.  Men are in sin.  Men will do
sinful things.  Jesus is not a man that He should lie, but He is God and
is THE truth.  He can only tell the truth, do the truth, for He is literal
truth through and through.  Anyone who hears truth, hears His voice.  And
anyone who pursues truth, pursues Him, and Him alone.

This is the message born again Christians give people:  Follow Jesus Christ.

It is personal, between Him and you.  It does not go through a church,
through a spouse, through a pastor, through a believing co-worker.  It is
in your heart, and you are known to Him by your heart condition.

Seek after Jesus Christ, Tim.  He will show you the way.  And if you do
come to know Him, you will know why He commands His followers to teach
others about Him:

    Hell lasts forever.
    But so does Heaven.

For those who do not hear His call, and do not believe, the message is
not for them.  They will find out soon enough the reality of who He is,
though it will be too late for them at that time.

For those who can hear His call in their heart, this message is for you.
It is Him reaching out to save your eternal soul from damnation in Hell
fire.  He is rescuing you because you will hear and follow the truth.

Listen to Him, and ask Him to help you.  If you set your sights on this,
He will do the rest for you.  He'll do the things for you that you alone
cannot do.

Jesus is amazing like that.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin

Re: Do you understand what's at stake?

BT17/1889_319_Napoleons_Testimony.html

Thinking about it logically, you're just the kind of religious nutter who
will tie innocent people to stakes and burn them in public.

Don't bother replying -- plonk-a-doodle-you.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services