Disable optimisation - Ring oscillator

Hello,

I have a project where i have to implement a ring oscillator (3 not gates) using an altera DE2. But i am confronted to several problems. The voltage p-p is 128.2 mV and the Vavg is 3.308 V which seems that quartus has optmised 'a little too much' since i want to see the delay.

Is there any way to disable the optimisation ? I have read and show on option 'wire keep_wire', but i did not manage to make it work ... Or maybe it is another problem.

Thanks for your time, and help

Reply to
Franck Y

What "voltage p-p" is 128.2 mV? Is this something you observe at an output? What frequency? What output standard? Aren't you overdriving the outputs by far? Shouldn't you run with a much longer chain? Don't the gate in the short chain get overloaded?

Uwe Bonnes

Try a longer chain, 3 seems very short, unless they are pin-buffers, and you should ideally use alternate NOT and NOR gates with a reset drive, in a ring oscillator.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

?

stadt.de

I used an oscilloscope, i tried with a longer chain but apparently it has no effect, expect that it has to be odd number of NOT gate.

I do not understand the "Don't the gate in the chain short chain get overloaded?"

Moreover even if the ring oscillator should not have any power input, i wanted to put a low voltage( < 1.5V, but is is another problem since i do not have to possibility to add external power)

Thanks again for your help

Reply to
Franck Y

Hello,

I thought about the reset !

But i do have to put a VCC or a ground ? But i do that, my result will be wrong F

Reply to
Franck Y

Franck Y wrote: ..

... You probably drive the gates in the linear region, where a lot of current is flowing through the upper PMOS and lower NMos transistor. While this current also flows during normal switching, this switching happens at a lower frequency, resulting in lower effective current flow through tghe inverter.

Uwe Bonnes

3 is probably fine, if they are placed fairly far apart. Quartus is probably placing them in the same LAB, where the delay between flops will be exceedingly small. Manually placing them in the corners should increase the delay long enough to actually see some ringing. Turn on logic lock for the path, and it should be very predictable between fittings.
Reply to
radarman

You can't even really call that optimization. You seen, in an FPGA you do not have individual not and nor gates. You have 4 input lookup tables. Even in an ASIC technology there is a technology mapping step involved, that tries to find a representation in the target technology for your technology independant specification.

While it would be possible to map your desing 1 to 1 to the FPGA technology in general that is not possible, so the tool does not even try. Instead it is looking for netlist portion (not individual gates) that can be represented by the FPGAs ressources.

In your case it finds an obvious match: The whole circuit can be represented by a single LUT. Of course it chooses that representation. This is not an overly aggressive optimization, it is a necessary step to find a realizable netlist at all.

The solution to your problem is a technology dependant representation: Instantiate LUT primitives. You can even manually place them to increase the delay.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma