Dell Laptop for Embedded Work

He hasn't used it. Based on my experience with the parallel port on the D400 docking station I would expect it to work well.

I could swear I've seen an F2812 eZdsp with USB on it. Perhaps it was the socketed R2812 eZdsp with an F2812 in the socket.

No, you don't need to spend that much for c2000:

Click on "compare models" near the top and you'll see JTAGjet for c2000 is only $595 and I bet performance is better than what you see with your parallel port emulator. Note however that this will not work with any of the c5000/c6000 DSPs whereas your current PP emulator will.

Reply to
Brad Griffis

Go to

and click on IBM Certified Used Equipment in the Shop for column. I picked up a T30 with serial and parallel ports that I am very happy with for about $500. It looked like new.

Reply to
Dennis

Not a total solution (at least until we write the IP) is our new Cardbus product Tarfessock1. First out is will be available in about

3-4 weeks time (that is 2 weeks late on our website info) and initially will offer a Xilinx Cable III lookalike solution as a small part of it's functionality (Cable IV if we figure what is needed). It also has a RS232 serial port capabiliy but that might take a couple weeks more to get into the supporting FPGA builds.

Longer term this board has the capability to act as a full parallel port and we are designing a connector module to support that as well as all the other features - RS485, ADC, DAC.

On a more general solution there are parallel port cards available for Cardbus. I'm not sure if there are any for Expresscard yet. We will have a solution for Expresscard but not in Q3 and maybe not even Q4. It's on our roadmap and very likely to happen. Just a question of what product we bring to market first.

USB to serial adaptors seem work well. Beware of USB to parallel adaptors. They tend not to work with Xilinx software.

John Adair Enterpo> Hi:

Reply to
John Adair

"beware" of the batteries..

Seems sony batteries = potential bomb.. ;), due metal dirt inside that cause spurious shortcircuit.

Anyway I think parallell port is bye-bye. Make a strategy to phase it out. Problem will just be worse by time. Besides with fpga knowhow you could make your own hw tools if needed ;)

Reply to
pbdelete

Certainly the OpenTV tools which make heavy use of a parallel port do not work with USB or PCMCIA parallel port devices - I've tried.

We went with a Dell M60 in the end (which is new a couple of years old) as it had serial and parallel as standard.

David Hearn

Check the Dell images of the product, specifically the underside. If, towards the back of the bottom, probably in the middle, there are 2 little flaps then that is where the docking station connects - which is a multiway connector (lots of connectors!) which usually is more than just a USB device which gives you the extra ports. For example, they'll run VGA and DVI over it as well.

David Hearn

over

We tried one of these in the past, but they didn't work with the OpenTV tools we were using which used the parallel port.

David Hearn

If you are using your 2812 for controling any kind of switching power supply, take into account that PP emulators are far less susceptible to EMI than USB kind. This way you also do not have any problems connecting and disconnecting target while CCS is active.

Mitja

Reply to
Korenje

I use the Quatech SPP-100 too. However to get it to work on a low port (ie, < 0x0400), I had to move the internal parallel port to 0x278, then hack the SPP-100n.inf file and reinstall the driver (I am using XP) to get it to install and behave at 0x378.

SPP-100n.inf:

... [LptportXP.LogConfigOverride] LogConfig =LptportXP.Override0,LptportXP.Override1,LptportXP.Override2,LptportXP.Override3,LptportXP.Override4,LptportXP.Override5,LptportXP.Override6,LptportXP.Override7,LptportXP.Override8 ...

... [LptportXP.Override8] ConfigPriority=NORMAL IOConfig=378-37f(3ff::) IRQConfig=3,4,5,7,14 PcCardConfig = 9 ...

Howard

Reply to
Howard Long

I took a look there and none of the models seem to include a floppy. Also, none describe the presence or absence of serial and parallel ports. I have heard horror stories about the parallel port compatibility in IBMs, which I need for my laser printer. Any comments?

--
 Some informative links:
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

Chris Carlen wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

If you have special needs, any IT department should recognize it and let you get what you need.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Is that horseshit still going around? Many many years ago, I was part of a team developing a demonstration interactive on-demand cable TV system. My company even bought a cable TV company to serve as a test bed. We needed a computer to be the heart of it, and the most suitable for our purpose was a Data General Nova 1200. At the time, computers were considered the province of the Data Processing Department. They had a (small) approved list and the Nova wasn't on it.

In exasperation, I said to my boss that if we needed two 5,000 scopes, we'd have the order signed in an hour, but one 10,000 computer, also a piece of lab equipment, was out of bounds. My remark got kicked up three management levels*, and the next meeting of the board of directors agreed that lab equipment didn't come under Data Processing's edict.

Jerry _________________________________________

  • Me. Group leader. Lab director (to whom I griped). VP Research, a member of the Board. The board itself.
--
        "The rights of the best of men are secured only as the
        rights of the vilest and most abhorrent are protected."
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jerry Avins

Thanks for the link.

--
Good day!

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris Carlen

I think the latest laptop chipsets does not support parallel ports. When I went shopping for a PC for embedded support needs last year, I ended up with an HP NW8000 which was just beeing phased out because of this and similar problems.

Maybe get an old one, or a PCMCIA card with a true parallel port.

(- Or concentrate on the AVR stuff :-). I think AVR Studio now supports USB Serial Bridges.

The

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

I tried to use a Dell laptop for data acquisition in a car for a lot of test runs, but somehow it got its USB ports screwed up after a while (probably due to heating). I ended up with using a standard Dell PC which seemed to work fine.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I'm typing this on a Dell Latitude 610, and it has both a serial and a parallel port. Dunno if that's one your "approved" list or not, but this has been a great laptop for my needs.

jthomas@bittware.com  http://www.bittware.com    (603) 226-0404 x536
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Thomas

Hello Chuck,

True, but I am afraid we are in a minority that shrinks fast. Almost all printers are USB now and those made up for close to 99% of parallel port devices. The number of people who still need a parallel port is so miniscule these days that mfgs probably won't care. The last printer I bought still has a parallel port but it already came sans cable and sure enough I hooked it up to the LAN.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello Ulf,

They pretty much all do now. The coolest thing is that little EZ430 stick. You can connect wires to it after cracking it open and then use it at a client site. Slips right into a small pocket. Of course, airport security will want to know what that thing is...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Interesting, it looks like they shortened the descriptions since I was there last. They also no longer list things like the monitor connector and PC card slots either. All the T30 series have a serial and parallel port. I think they dropped the serial port on the T40 series. It appears that most of the information has been moved over to the lenovo site now. A bit of a pain to find the model from the IBM site and then have to go over to the lenovo site to see what all is included on a particular model. On the bright side it looks like the hardware maintenance and service manuals are still available for download on the lenovo site.

I have only used the parallel port to run an LCD display which worked fine.

The Thinkpads dropped the internal floppy option a while back. I have an external USB floppy which is probably not worth the price any more.

Reply to
Dennis

How reliable is the USB floppy, and what sort of price is involved? Do they come with a proper Windows installation CD, or is it a system restore nonsense. Does your parallel port usage mean bit banging? Is the USB 1 or 2?