DDR controller on Spartan-3e 500

Hi,

I want to control a 16 bit DDR module with the 256 pin Spartan-3e 500 package. There are too many pins on the DDR to fit in one quadrant of the device, so it will have to use 2. Can this work? I was thinking address and control lines on one quadrant, and the data on another.

The 320 pin package brings out enough IO so that a single quadrant can control everything, but that's more expensive.

I'm wondering if the timing will be ok (100 mhz or faster is what I'm shooting for) with the logic spread across quadrants.

Thanks-- Dave

Reply to
David Ashley

100MHz shouldn't be a problem. I have a designed a DDR controller which has its data path spread over 2 fpgas in a PQ204 package.
--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

You should have no problems with the functional division and frequency as you've specified. Synchronous logic and global clocks make it easy.

Reply to
John_H