DCM Jitter?

I had planned to generate an ADC clock from a DCM block in my VirtexII. I'm
told the jitter on the DCM output clock is likely to degrade the ADC
performance. The ADC clock is 56 MHz. The source clock will be 8MHz so I
need 7x in the DCM.

Is the jitter really a major problem at 56MHz?

Thanks,
Clark

Re: DCM Jitter?

That depends upon YOUR application.

Get out an old envelope and do some rough calculations.

What's the fastest rise time of a signal you will be looking at?
As an estimate, use the highest frequency sine wave at max amplitude.

How many pico-seconds does your clock need to be off in order to
make a 1 LSB change in the reading?

--
The suespammers.org mail server is located in California.  So are all my
other mailboxes.  Please do not send unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited

I'm

Re: DCM Jitter?
Depends on the application, but off-hand, the answer is most likely it will
result in an unacceptably high noise floor at 56 MHz assuming your bandwidth
requirements are such that a 56 MHz sampling clock is needed.

--Ray Andraka, P.E.
Re: DCM Jitter?

The DCM won't work with an input frequency of 8MHz.  The minimum input is
somewhere around 24MHz.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Martin Euredjian

To send private email:
0_0_0_0_@pacbell.net
where
"0_0_0_0_"  =  "martineu"

Re: DCM Jitter?
FCS, how many times does someone say this on here? If you use the CLKFX
output you can use input frequencies down to 1MHz, as long as the output
frequency is over 24MHz. The OP's system will work, but it'll be jittery.
Use the jitter calculator on the Xilinx website to find out how jittery.
cheers, Symsx.>

Re: DCM Jitter?

Right you are.  I assumed a couple of things here.  One, that he needed this
8MHz input clock for the rest of the logic.  Of course, you could use more
than one DCM.  No problems there.

Jitter for a CLKFX-only implementation is about 0.9ns from 8MHz to 56MHz.
This would affect the SNR performance (due to aperture uncertainty)
attainable by an otherwise good ADC.  I assumed that this would not be
acceptable and, therefore, the CLKFX option would not be available.  I would
choose to go with a high quality 56MHz clock and divide it down for internal
FPGA logic, if required.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Martin Euredjian

Re: DCM Jitter?
this
would
internal
Martin,
Good points, your suggestion of using a good 56MHz source and a divided down
enable for the 8 MHz functionality is the way I'd go too.
Cheers, Syms.

Site Timeline