Data Transfer from PC to FPGA through USB

Hallo guys,

I'm pretty new to hardware programming. I'm currently working on a project and I have to create a communication channel between my PC and FPGA (Xilinx Virtex 5 model) through a USB port.

At the end of the day, it should be able to use a matlab script to send data from PC to FPGA.

For example if I send 110000 from my PC, it should light some LEDs on my FPGA.

I don't know how to establish this communication channel.

ANY HELP ?

tabenash2002

You might take a look at FTDI interface chips. They have a variety of solutions as does Cypress Semi.

You don't mention how much performance you need. Is it MB/sec or KB/sec? That makes a huge difference to your approach. Also - USB2 or USB3?

John P

Reply to
johnp

You might want to look into the HDL Verifier product which allows FGPA-in-the-Loop simulation with a variety of popular FPGA boards over Gigabit Ethernet. You can also use this product to co-simulate MATLAB and an HDL simulator such as ModelSim from Mentor Graphics.

If you really need USB, I would look at the FTDI chipsets for serial port emulation over USB. They are easy to use and readily available.

Disclaimer: I work as a developer for The MathWorks.

Good luck!

-Brian Ogilvie

---------------------------------------- "tabenash2002" writes: Path: news.mathworks.com!newsfeed-00.mathworks.com!newsfeed2.dallas1.level3.net!news.level3.com!postnews.google.com!news2.google.com!Xl.tags.giganews.com!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!local2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail Newsgroups: comp.arch.fpga Subject: Data Transfer from PC to FPGA through USB Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 08:10:33 -0500

Hallo guys,

I'm pretty new to hardware programming. I'm currently working on a project and I have to create a communication channel between my PC and FPGA (Xilinx Virtex 5 model) through a USB port.

At the end of the day, it should be able to use a matlab script to send data from PC to FPGA.

For example if I send 110000 from my PC, it should light some LEDs on my FPGA.

I don't know how to establish this communication channel.

ANY HELP ?

bogilvie

FWIW, OpenCores lists a USB 1.1 and a USB 2.0 core. But the FTDI chip comes with Windows drivers, which will vastly simplify your life, if your prof will let you do it that way.

--
Tim Wescott
 Click to see the full signature

Then make your life easy: use an usb -> parallel port adapter (like

) and connect some of the data pins to the FPGA. A simple print in matlab to the proper PRN port should be sufficient.

Reply to
Herbert Kleebauer

)

Hallo Guys,

thanks alot for your contributions. I have done abit of research and i have the following information available:

I will be using a Virtex-5 lx50 Evaluation board, with USB controller from Cypress.

tabenash2002

)

Herbert,

The simplicity of this solution is brilliant!

Yours sincerely, Rene

Reply to
Rene

l/d...)

My understanding is that the old parallel printer port is a 5V signalling standard and apply this to a modern FPGA will result in damage.

Ed McGettigan

-- Xilinx Inc.

Reply to
Ed McGettigan