data recorder examples?

Hi I am new to programmable logic. I got myself a Xilinx CoolRunner II CPLD design kit. I would like to make a project to get into the swing of things.

I would like to make a data (Digital Pulse) Recorder.

Perhaps it count incoming pulses for a fixed length of time (or set by pc) then store the count and time stamp in the CPLD or FPGA or external memory to later be transferred to the PC Perhaps out a serial rs232 port to the pc.

So simply a programmable logic device Maybe some external memory Serial interface to computer.

If storing the data is hard to do it could simply count the incoming pulses for one minute, then transfer the data out to a pc and clear the counter for the next cycle.

It would require that the pc be connected while acquiring data This should only require a fast input pin and an output in ASCII format i.e. start and stop bits (I can convert it to rs232 with a external max232 chip).

Does anyone have any examples (CPLD or FPGA), or web links to tutorial type examples of such a project?

Martin

Reply to
bob

might help you RaM