Cyclone V hard memory controller

Hi,

I try to implement a DDR3 hard memory controller in a Cyclone v device a 5CGXFC3B6F23C7.

I created an DDR3 hard memory controller IP core with the Megawizard, integrated the core in my design and added my design files in Quartus.

The fitter of Quartus gives following error message

Error (15332): Port SHIFTEN of cyclonev_pll_reconfig "HeadTop:I_HeadTop|DDR3Controller:I_MemCtrlBlk|Ddr3MemCtrl:Ddr3MemCtrl_1|Ddr3MemCtrl_000

2:ddr3memctrl_inst|Ddr3MemCtrl_pll0:pll0|pll1~PLL_RECONFIG" has 11 connections, but the maximum bus width of port SHIFTEN is 9

In the file Ddr3MemCtrl_pll0 there are 11 generic_pll instances and as far as I know the Cyclone Pll has only 9 clock outputs so I assume the error message refers to this and barks about the two additional clock outputs.

In the Megawizard there is no switch to select the number of clock outputs of the hard memory controller.

I tried to synthesise the example created by the Megawizard, but the funny thing is this example is not for the Cyclone V device I specified in Quartus and the fitter ends with an error message too. This time not about the Pll but about some errors with output pins.

So my question is: Has anybody implemented successfully a design with a DDR3 hard memory controller in a Cyclone v device or stumbled on the same error message as above.

Btw. I use Quartus 13.1 according to Altera the latest version but IMHO not the greatest.

Robert

Reply to
baum

W dniu 2013-11-15 13:30, baum pisze:

Hi Robert,

Your descriptiion is too narrow to say something. If you need my help , send to me whole example project, then I will say something more.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Górski

I have no experience with the CycV, but are you sure the pin attributes are set correctly? There's usually a TCL file output by Qsys that you have to run in Quartus to set the pin parameters before synthesis. You only have to run it once (the settings then go into your .qsf file). If you don't do this synthesis may fail because it incorrectly assigns pins and then fails when those pins don't have the right properties.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Hi Robert,

I am also doing some work on the Cyclone V (CVEA5) and in my case Quartus software is still not able to synthesize a HMC for the FPGA that I want to use. Not even to use a soft controller with the same pins and functionality.

They are looking into this issue. In my case I need to use Quartus 13.1 since it is the only one that has support for the FPGA that I want to use.

Regards, Filipe

Reply to
teixeirafms

? 2013?11?15????UTC

+8??8?30?59??baum? ??

Ddr3MemCtrl_000

Hi,Robert Did you resolve this problem? I also meet it in 5CGXFC5C6F23C7N with Q uartus 13.1.My QSYS used clock bridge and mm bride.if ddr3.av0 is connected with mm bridge or ddr3.av0 is connected with cpu data,this error will happ en.There is no error in Quartus 13.0.

Reply to
sunny.yin.xu

? 2013?11?15????UTC

+8??8?30?59??baum? ??

Ddr3MemCtrl_000

The same error will be happend when I tested it with DDR3 soft controller.

Reply to
sunny.yin.xu