Cyclone flash configuration data

I've implemented a flash programmer for the EPCS1 serial flash, attached to a Cyclone, using the Serial Flash Loader entity. Programming and reading the flash works, but how do I create the data for programming it? I've programmed it with a Byte Blaster and a JIC file from within Quartus and comparing the content which was flashed with a RBF file, it looks like every byte is just mirrored (from LSB to MSB instead of MSB to LSB) and some bits at the beginning are different. Is it safe to use this RBF file for flashing the flash?

Another question: I would like to compare the flash content with some external file whenever the system starts, if an update is needed. Would be good, if I could just read some checksum or date signature inside the flash (currently I'm writing my own checksum at the last block of the flash). Is there a documentation of the RBF file format?

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

Not completely as the RBF format is proprietary and sometimes those 'bits at the beginning' move around with software and device versions. It can be made to work, but you must keep an eye on it.

Not in the public domain. Don't know why.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

The RBF file is the raw data which you need to send to the device. All you need to know about its format is that you send it least significant bit first.

This is the opposite way to the usual operation of SPI, so, if you're using SPI to transmit to the FPGA, you need first to reverse the bits of each byte. (You may find it more convenient to do this on your PC).

Mike

Reply to
MikeShepherd564

Looks like it doesn't work. The bits at the beginning are important. But if I convert it to a pof file first, and then to a rpd file, the content of the flash is the same when as when I flash it with a jic file and it works.

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

Thanks for the clarification. I was confusing RBF with a modified RBF used *only* by an Altera flash IP.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler