Cyclone clock

Hello,

I have a source of extremely stable and clean clock signal. Its frequency is about 64 MHz. I would like to use it as the main clock for a Cyclone FPGA chip (1C6, to be exact). The problem is that the signal is a sine wave with the amplitude of about 1Vpp. The exact level is not an issue, I can amplify or attenuate it appropriately, but the shape bothers me: may I feed the FPGA clock input with this signal directly? If yes, then what is the optimal level of the signal? But if this, unfortunately, is not allowed, then what solution would you recommend me?

Best regards Piotr Wyderski

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Piotr,

The use of a SSTL input buffer, with a Vref at 1/2 the slicing level (AC couple to the input with a bias to Vref) seems to work very well for our parts (Xilinx).

I imagine it would work equally well in Altera's parts (with the same IO standard and Vref).

The problem with a sine wave is the slow dV/dt. That will lead to jitter when there is ground bounce.

So, for example, if the signal changes 100 ps in 100 mV, then with 100 mV of ground bounce, I would expect 100 ps of jitter. More bounce, more jitter. Faster dV/dt, less jitter. The more dV/dt, the more jitter with bounce. You choose how much clock source jitter you may tolerate.

A separate slicer (comparator) is a better solution in most cases.

Austin

Piotr Wyderski wrote:

Reply to
austin

You could amplify it with a MMIC (like the MInicircuits ERA-1) and square it up with a Schmidt trigger.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

The original signal has about 6Vpp and the output is taken from a divider connected to an emitter follower, so it is enough to decrease attenuatnion.

The problem is that I have no fast enough 3.3V CMOS trigger, so I decided to use a squaring circuit made of a comparator or even of discrete elements, like this (at the third picture):

Best regards Piotr Wyderski

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Good point, especially taking into account the length of the clock signal path, which is about 5 cm.

So I will try to find a fast enough comparator or make my own squaring circuit using two BFR92A UHF transistors. Thank you for your replies!

Best regards Piotr Wyderski

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

How about using a couple of diodes to clip the 6V sine signal, and then amplify the square wave with a single fast transistor, even easier.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

"Piotr Wyderski" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:cusq4p$u8r$ snipped-for-privacy@news.dialog.net.pl...

What is fast enough?? AFAIK those 74LVC/LVT 14 are quite fast.

Regards Falk

Reply to
Falk Brunner

A limiting amp should make your sine wave much more square.

If limiting amps aren't your thing, a simple external ECL stage cleans up the clocks quite nicely without the expense of a super-fast comparator since you can keep the noise introduced into this stage at very low levels, something you couldn't do with an internal differential input.

Reply to
John_H

Since the input waveform is a high purity sinewave, there is one point to be careful about, if that purity is important, e.g. it is a local oscillator in a radio receiver.

If you are generating very fast edges on a 3V to 5VP-P square wave, it is very easy to couple a tiny fraction of those edges back onto the input (through the input buffer and attenuator, through the ground plane or even through the air) and degrade your LO purity (and interference rejection) by 40dB or so.

Careful design (e.g. separate digital and analog ground planes) is important but even so, a lower edge speed may be better. You will have to make the right compromise between low jitter (fast edge) and sine purity, according to the purpose of your design.

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

Yes, it is a very low jitter reference clock for a PLL-based local oscillator and a strobe of a high-speed ADC (AD6644).

The oscillator is carefully screened, so the only possibility of coupling is through the power lines. There is a lot of ferrite beads inside the oscillator box, an LDO and -- finally -- an active noise canceller, so I think that this way of coupling is impossible.