creating a custom opb bus master

Hello fpga-faq,

I want to create a user module that will act as a master on an opb bus. I am using xilinx Platform Studio, version 7.1i. Now before you say it, I have read the

guide on using the create/import wizard for xps. I have read it, and seen the skeleton, but have not been successful with a master bus. I have created a custom slave module, and succeeded... Has anyone done this? I just want some sample code that does anything as a master on an opb bus. In case it is not clear why this would be a good thing, there are many edk tools that will only work over an opb bus- but in many fpga designs, you don't really need a processor, just custom code. All I want is the edk uartlite over a opb bus, but I have to be the opb master to do it.

thank you, ~arin

Reply to
arincm

I have not had much luck with the Xilinx tools for creating peripherals. I would just read

$file/OpbBus.pdf (search for opbbus.pdf on
and write it by hand. Of course, if all you need is a uart there is plenty of source.

Alan Nishioka

Reply to
alan

I'm the guy that usually says to use the wizard but its not appropriate for your case. Directly implementing an opb master is quite straightforward--plb is more complicated. The CoreConnect OPB Bus specification will give you all the signals, but OPB has a pretty simple request-grant scheme.

A colleague created a master in HDL to interface with the opb_ddr controller. It was only a couple of lines of code.

Paul

" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote:

Reply to
Paul Hartke

Hi , Do u have Xilinx EDK 6.2 tools, in case u have them then , if u go to /hw/XilinxReferenceDesigns/pcores/opb_core_msp0_v1_00_b/ , thats nothing but a OPB Bus Master design with Write capability. The only catch is that it uses a very old version of IPIF. If you are ok with that then you can go ahead and use it. In case u dont have EDK 6.2 , then just send me an e-mail and I can tar the file and send it to you ..

-- Parag Beeraka

Reply to
beeraka