Create FPGA to replace 1974 MOSTEK MK5017

Hi Everyone,

Perhaps you may have a skill to create FPGA and create a clone for 1974 MOS
TEK MK5017, famous clock chip by Heathkit. They used this chip on model GC-
1005 and run with Panaplex display tubes by Sperry Rand. Unfortunately, MOS
TEK went out of business (thanks to US EPA that destroyed wonderful company
 by enormous fines instead of help to clean).

Nowdays, it is impossible to find workable MK5017 (several series)to handle
 the circuit created by Heathkit (again this company ceased due gross misma
naged by Zenith Radio Corporation).

I do not have skill to do with FPGA and VHDL and create soft based MK5017.
Perhaps you may have a skill do that. Heathkit GC-1005 schematic is availab
le at many websites for download at no cost.

The most difficult to find is datasheet for MK5017 until today, I found it.
 Enclosed the datasheet to help you to create for the FPGA and may need mod
ify the circuit if possible.

I cannot add file here but if you are interesting and let me know then I ca
n send you the datasheet.

Thank you very much,
SF

Re: Create FPGA to replace 1974 MOSTEK MK5017

Why not post it somewhere on the Internet and then post a link to that site?

--

Rick C

Re: Create FPGA to replace 1974 MOSTEK MK5017

I googled for MOSTEK MK5017 and found an app note.

The part is PMOS.  It runs from high voltages.  (Well, high voltages if
you are used to FPGAs.)  It drives multiplexed fluorescent 7 segment
displays.

In terms of implementing the functionality, I would recommend a
microcontroller instead of an FPGA.  Reason: they're cheap and easier to
program.  Some have RTCs built in.
You will need to surround the microcontroller with various high voltage
buffers.
You could put all that (and a socket for a Li cell so it doesn't lose
time when the power is interrupted) on a board that would fit inside the
original DIP24 footprint.

Regards,
Allan

Re: Create FPGA to replace 1974 MOSTEK MK5017
steven.feinsmith:
1974 MOSTEK MK5017, famous clock chip by Heathkit. They used this chip
on model GC-1005 and run with Panaplex display tubes by Sperry Rand.
Unfortunately, MOSTEK went out of business (thanks to US EPA that
destroyed wonderful company by enormous fines instead of help to
clean).
handle the circuit created by Heathkit (again this company ceased due
gross mismanaged by Zenith Radio Corporation).
MK5017. Perhaps you may have a skill do that. Heathkit GC-1005 schematic
is available at many websites for download at no cost.
found it. Enclosed the datasheet to help you to create for the FPGA and
may need modify the circuit if possible.
I can send you the datasheet.

It might be fun to do but I can't see it paying for itself. How many
could be sold ?

The -30V supply would be tricky to duplicate but certainly possible.

MK

Site Timeline